1452? 1648?? etc

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be either, depending on manufacturer. PolarKraft uses the beam width - 1670, Alumacraft uses the bottom width - 1648.

I bet the 14' is 52" at the beam though.

I believe the “correct” way to interpret it is 1448 - 14' length and 48" across the bottom at the stern, however, my 1448 is a model 1472 from Sylvan and the 72 is the beam, really kind of misleading if you ask me.

there doesn't appear to be a "standard" as there should be.

My Smokercraft is labeled 1672, with the beam at 72", but I've
seen other Smokercraft labeled with the bottom width listed.

Steve A W

surfman said:
I believe the “correct” way to interpret it is 1448 - 14' length and 48" across the bottom at the stern, however, my 1448 is a model 1472 from Sylvan and the 72 is the beam, really kind of misleading if you ask me.

there doesn't appear to be a "standard" as there should be.

My Sylvan is model 1648 and it is 48 across the bottom. There does not appear to be a standard.

Welcome. I always think it should be length then width across the bottom. But that is not always the case.

the reason I was thinking it was the beam is that the beam is well defined and a standard in measuring a boat width

the bottom may or may not be well defined depending on its shape.

My boat is listed as a Meyers Laker 14, no other numbers

It is true that some boats have rounded bottoms but the beam doesn’t really tell you much either since it could flare inwards or outwards. Most boats are measured by the beam width though. In a small flat bottom boat like a jon boat the width of the bottom of the boat is a very important feature, IMO. Flat bottom jon boats come in a variety of widths, I am not sure really if the semi-vee boats have variable bottom widths or not, from what I have seen they all seem to be about the same in relation to length.

Latest posts