Seaboard on top of benches? 1232 jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBizzy

Reaction score
I am putting seats on my Alumacraft 1232 next week. My plan was to use sealed ply or marine ply on top of the benches and mount the seats to those. But having the boat stored outside I was looking at Seaboard. Amazon has some reasonable prices on it. Just wanted to know how does the strength compare to plywood? Would I be ok using a good size 1/2" sheet (24"x24") on top of my benches to attach my seats too? I will be using tee-nuts to fasten the seats to the board then use rivnuts to fasten the board to the bench. Just for a nice clean look that has no chance of rotting. Also the front seat will have a 7" pedestal and the back just a quick disconnect.

I have used Starboard ( one of many names ) many times for hatch, deck and seat repairs on boats and it works well. I think something a little more than 1/2" would be best for mounting your seat to. Remember any motion on the seat will transfer as tension or torque on the base. You want that as secure as possible. I would probably use 3/4" board just because I am usually over causious.

Latest posts