recommended paint for restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmy3131

Reaction score
I have my 1960 Richine ready for primer, i know i need a primer for aluminum and there are a few choices. My boat is blue and white and i'm going to stay with that color scheme. but i'd like to paint it the same blue and white as the 1959 Fastwin i have for it. Is there a place i can order paint for boats and give them a color spec to go by? I've paint for sale on iboats but have no idea if i need anything that fancy. If i get my boat out 5 times a year that will be alot.

Timmy, how good are you at mixing your own colors?
buy a pint can of Rust-Oleum blue and a quart can of white and mix your own.
save what is left in a clean, air-tight can for touchups down the road.

start off with a few drops of white - add a little of the blue, keeping notes of
what proportion makes the color you like. In a small spot the size of a quarter.
try to remember the percentage of white/blue and slowly increase the volume.
when you are up to about 3 ounces or so and it still comes out to your color choice,
get bold and try to mix a pint - yada yada yada.
That would be much cheaper than buying custom paints from the boat or auto shop.

werks fer me - it'll werk fer you

I got lucky - there is a NAPA in my town that can now mix custom automotive enamels
to exact specs. Not only in the pint/quart cans, but also in the rattle cans !!!
with or without the clear coat in the mix - very convenient.
but, you need to have a little automotive painting experience as you have to mix the
hardener, reducer, thinner, etc then shoot the clear later.
I have the exact colors for the 1958 Johnson RD-19 and RDS-20 ready to paint now.

so many options to choose from for painting your boat.
Basically, it comes down to your time and budget as well
as the professional degree of the finished project.

GOOD LUCK ! and you know that the gallery likes to see PHOTOS !!!

timmy3131 said:
Thanks Johnny! so i don't need a special marine grade paint?
From the reading I've been doing on paint, I came across this link that shows how to use paints such as Rustoleum and other similar paint from the Hardware Store and Tractor Supply Store. Look for posting #238 in this link:
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair/394579-1961-lonestar-flamingo-splashed-w-pics/page16
Look for the guy named Woodonglass and his signature link for painting with tractor paint.
He claims this works on aluminum boats also.

Thanks for the help!! there is a ton of info in those threads! makes me a little anxious to get started!!

Like Johnny said above, and in other of his posts, just dig in and get her done:
https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40201
Like his advice, "jump in and get your feet wet". I like his idea of practicing on a scrap before attempting something large.
I think reading a bunch of links and stories of other's painting will give you courage to jump in...

Latest posts