Couple of mod ideas (interior lighting & rod holders)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
This was something I did on one of my last boats. I wanted to add some interior lighting, just enough to be able to move around or find something. I was looking, but everything came with a cost. Then I ran across a box of amber side marker lights from light kits. I added 2 up front & to in the rear, each pair on a separate switch. They worked like a charm!
oldboat.jpg

Here's a rod holder I made a few of. 4" PVC coupling, drilled with holesaw, then sliced. I welded a 3/8" nut inside a 1/2" steel pipe nipple after cutting the threads off that end & bolted the holder on at the angle I wanted (you can also slot them to make them adjustable). Bolted a 1/2" floor flange to the gunwhale (with a carpet "gasket" under it), and screwed the nipple in by hand when I got to the water, this also allowed you to "swing" them towards any direction.I put a total of 8 on the boat.
RodHolder.jpg

I think those markers are about $5 at walmart, cheap and easy to install.

My roomate got the last Harry Potter book last year, and it came with a little LED book reading light powered by 3 AAAs. He gave it to me when he moved out and I took one look at it, grabbed some electrical ties and tied it to the pedastal post for the forward seat in my boat. It is always right there under the seat, and you can even adjust it. Some of the best ideas are the most simple.