chair help please.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracik3

Reaction score
We have an aluminum boat and last year we added some chairs to the bench seats. We bought the square flat swivels from walmart. Mounted those on the bench seat with toggle screws. Then added the chairs. It was a pain to get those screws tight! Not much room to work! Anyway, this year the toggles are coming up. So, I think we need to add a piece of wood to the bench and then the mount and chair to the wood. My question is how do you add the wood? The aluminum is really thin. Go from the sides? We don't have a rivet gun. Or could the wood be glued down? Thanks for your help!

I had never heard of a rivetnut, but looked it up. Here's what they look like:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_seven_br_4?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A16310091%2Cn%3A%2116310161%2Cn%3A383599011%2Cn%3A16409861%2Cn%3A16410051%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A5485702011&bbn=16410051&ie=UTF8&qid=1457410116&rnid=3071213011
Hope you get things sorted out.

I'd guess that the seats that you put on have backs on them. You screw them in and then you lean back on the seats. The leverage, created by leaning back, on the four or six little fasteners is tremendous.

Unfortunately, nothing is going to make the thin aluminum issue go away. That is unless you can get to the underside and put a slab of plywood or aluminum UNDER the seat's top layer.

I've torn a few seats apart on my last two tinnys. In both cases, the aluminum "bench" was backed up by a large slab of plywood. In one case, it was backed up with a sheet of thick aluminum on top of the plywood.

You might get away with gluing and screwing a slab of plywood on top of the seat...but, I'd worry every time I leaned back.

Sorry, I don't have a solution or better suggestion for you. richg99

Welcome to the World of Tin !!
as you grow with us, you will find that PHOTOS will
get you more accurate information to your issues.
rivet kit.jpg
you can get the basic pop rivet kits online at a minimal cost
as well as Harbor Freight. If you are going to have a Tin Boat,
a rivet gun is the "must have" tool in your arsenal.

Ok, thanks for all the reply's!
So, if we go the rivet way, where do we put them in at? The top of the wood thru to the bench or from the sides?

Cutting a piece of the bench seat out to put wood in sure sounds like a pain!

Johnny said:
Welcome to the World of Tin !!
as you grow with us, you will find that PHOTOS will
get you more accurate information to your issues.

you can get the basic pop rivet kits online at a minimal cost
as well as Harbor Freight. If you are going to have a Tin Boat,
a rivet gun is the "must have" tool in your arsenal.

So, are these the rivets? They look way different than what the other poster from Amazon. Thanks!

You can screw some 3/4" ply to the top of your thin metal seat and put your seat post in that. Just make sure the ply is approximately the size of your seat, you can even carpet it.

Shouldn't have any issues and shouldn't need to buy any tools.

Ictalurus said:
You can screw some 3/4" ply to the top of your thin metal seat and put your seat post in that. Just make sure the ply is approximately the size of your seat, you can even carpet it.

Shouldn't have any issues and shouldn't need to buy any tools.

I agree. Great idea!

I agree and again be sure to seal the wood real good using lots of varnish or better yet epoxy, do not use pressure treated wood, then use an adhesive caulk to help hold the ply in place and keep moisture out from under it.

Latest posts