Alumacraft 1860 reviews??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flex2win

Reaction score
Coming off a 1648 w/2009 Yammi 25hp tiller.
I'm really getting an itch to upgrade to a carry over 2015 1860 w/a 2015 50hp Merc tiller on it.

I fish mostly in the river, need to be able to get thru some spots that are <18" at times during late summer, then back into the channels.
I was told this boat would run in that 18" range, 6-8" with motor trimmed out.

Anyone have any feedback on this boat? It's an investment for me, and I'd like to be certain of it first.

Thanks for any replies.

I ran an alumacraft 1756 for years. Solid boat with no issues. I'm not sure how shallow you can run with that rig with an outbouard. Shallow rivers are unpredictable especially if stuff tends to wash in from high water. If river fishing and running through water 18" regularly, I would look into a jet. If not at least a prop with tunnel. If it's on rare occasions you will probably be fine. It just stinks when you snag a lower unit in the shallows. Also look at what the other guys are running on your river and ask some questions. You might be able to get some insight on what works best. Good luck!

The numbers you specify ought to be about right for that rig, especially being tiller drive with a 50 on it. My 18' Xpress is CC with a 70 on it and can could get very close to those numbers on a factory setup. If I ever get off my butt and get the JP and prop done I will gain about 4 more inches over the factory rigging.

flex2win said:
I just can't believe that this rig is capable of running that shallow.

I'll qualify what I typed by saying, I'd never feel comfortable running on plane in water that shallow in my boat. And it's certainly not anything I do on a regular basis. But I believe if I had to I could run on plane in about 18-20" of water. I have also had my rig in some pretty skinny spots and was surprised it was still floating. I know I can adjust my transducer and not get my elbow wet. A true 1860 would be about 4" wider than mine, and with the 50hp tiller, should be a bit lighter than my CC boat, w/built in tank, 3 batteries, and a 70hp 4 stroke Yammy on it.

A properly rigged tunnel hull would definitely be a better choice if encountering conditions like that very often.

I'm just wanting to be confident that I can navigate through a 100' stretch of water that is a foot or little less. This area opens up to much larger once you get through it.

I would look into getting a jet. I run a 60/40 Mercury 4 stroke on a 18/52 blazer as flat bottom. Can run real skinny on plane and trimmed up. My boat is .80 and run a tiller. Have hit 33 downstream. Plenty fast for our rivers here in Missouri. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts