this might be a stupid question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captmike

Reaction score
To the members who have used aluminum angle to deck there mods, what is the avg linear feet used? I'm trying to order my metal online and its driving me crazy because I keep adding a few feet here and there on my deck lay out. So instead of driving myself nuts I figured that someone on here remembers about how much they ordered. Its a 14 ft v-hull that is 65" rail to rail. thanks for the help.

The Dirty Mule

I haven't done that, but if I were too, I would order more than anticipated. always better to have extra than not enough. especially if a cut ends up short and bulk order I would think is cheaper than a singler order or box store. Plus that stuff always comes in handy for more mods.

g0nef1sshn said:
I haven't done that, but if I were too, I would order more than anticipated. always better to have extra than not enough. especially if a cut ends up short and bulk order I would think is cheaper than a singler order or box store. Plus that stuff always comes in handy for more mods.

That's a good point. I guess I really just want to see if my estimate is even close.

Thanks

CedarRiverScooter said:
I sometimes use cardboard to mock up my ideas. Alum is pretty pricey for sure!

yes it is pricey....that's why I was looking to get an average amount from others who have built with alum framing. Lumber is easy to return and cheap to buy. Either way, I'm going to order a bunch this week and if its enough then its enough and if it isn't I'm sure I can find a good use for it. thanks for posting.

The Dirty Mule

I'm in the same boat (pun intended).. About to start framing for a deck on my V hull and I was wondering if it would be cheaper to find it somewhere like a salvage yard, or buy it from Home Depot @ around $5 for each 3ft section..

I'm not even sure how much I will actually need/use. *sigh*

I would say you would be way cheaper at a salvage yd.
Also if you can buy bulk length from a fab shop, like a 25' section instead of 8' lengths.
Another thing not to overlook at a salvage yd., square box aluminum. I nicked the edges off with a table saw and had 2 pieces of angle.
When I did mine, I used all three options mentioned above.

Find a metal seller in your city, if you buy from HD Lowe's or Ace your buying anodized angle. It's over priced. Metal by the foot in Kansas City sells aluminum angle I used in mine for. 36 a foot, I've used well over 100 ft in a 16 mod V

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I used 75' of angle and two pieces of an old aluminum ladder that were the length of my boats width. So 100' would be about right if I hadn't used the ladder.

I have a 14' v and I used roughly 60'. Do not buy it from a big box store, look around and find a metal supply company its a 1/4 of the price and they will usually deliver for a few dollars more.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Latest posts