Stickk 8 foot long type anchor...under ten bucks.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I saw this on another site ( I don't remember which one). I already have a heavy duty stickker type anchor (homemade) on my 1652 G3. But, this one is much lighter, much cheaper, and will probably do the job as well..99% of the time.

All it is is a PVC garden support shaft that I bought at Lowes this morning for under $6.00. I added a PVC TEE and a PVC 90 degree Elbow, and a couple of 1/2 inch PVC short lengths.

I modified the original design ( Ha Ha what's new!)...to make it also useful as a Boat Hook; and as a light-weight push pole. I slathered 3M5200 onto the pole and added a stainless steel screw to hold the T on.

Hope this gives someone a project on this sunny Saturday afternoon.

regards, richg99

p.s. Oh yea, they had the thinner and shorter PVC garden poles for $3.00, so I made a stickker type anchor for my kayak while I was at it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160312_091450.jpg
    IMG_20160312_091450.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,017
  • IMG_20160312_114009.jpg
    IMG_20160312_114009.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 2,017
I keep looking locally for these but no luck. I have several of the brand name stakes that I have picked up over the years but these seem like such a simple and useful idea that I want to make one just because.

When I was building it, it dawned on me that I always care an extendible boat hook; a heavy push pole; and a stickk type anchor.

After I give this thing a workout, I may only have to carry JUST it. That will make more room on the side of my little boat.

richg99

I should have clarified that statement. My "push pole" is used for pushing me off of oyster reefs that I drifted onto by mistake.

Not the general use of a push pole, but it saves getting out onto those razor sharp beasts.

ha ha richg99

If you find that pvc too flexible to work the way you need it to, try this 3/4" solid fiberglass rod. I used it to make my anchor pole when I was kayak fishing. Little more expensive at $18, but still waaay cheaper than commercial made poles...
https://www.amazon.com/Fiberstake-Fiberglass-Tree-Stake-Inch/dp/B003405FVW

2015 Tracker Grizzly 1448 MVX
1996 Evinrude 25hp 3 cylinder looper

For a push pole, I bought a 10' closet rod at H-Depot. It's prolly a 1" pvc covered wooden dowel. I made a PVC Tee and glued to one end, used a cap on the other. Light weight but stout. Got about $15.00 in it....

I used a fiberglass rod that the chimney sweepers use. Male threads on one end and female threads on the other. Ground the male end to a point. Used a SS Tee fitting on the female end and looped some small rope through so I can tie off the boat when I want.

Possible dangerous issue....watch out.

For anyone who built one of these stickk anchors.....and who added a T fitting on the end, please be aware that simply screwing the T fitting into the shaft might cause you some issues.

Up until now, I've used mine as a hook; stickk anchor; and a push pole.

Today, I used the hook portion and it pulled apart when I put some serious stress on it. Turns out that my fastening screw only caught a PVC "plug" that the manufacturer put on the end of the shaft.

I intend to cut the shaft back a couple of inches. That should expose the metal tube inside of the shaft and allow for a more permanent fastening point.

Just FYI guys.... regards, richg99

Attachments

• IMG_20160422_125619.jpg
    IMG_20160422_125619.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,683