16' Blue Fin project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckfoot

Reaction score
New to the site, and taking on my first aluminum boat project. Have always had larger fiberglass boats for fishing out on the Lake Michigan. Decided to have fun with some of the inland lakes and bought a 1979 Bluefin that needed some work. So far I have removed the floor and wood in the transom areas as they were pretty well rotted. One thought that I have is that I am going to convert the boat from console to tiller steering. The boat came with a 50hp Yamaha which runs fine, but for hunting, fishing, the open concept suits me better. Was looking at going to a 40hp tiller.

The only limitation I see and it may be nothing is that there is a splashwell forward of the transom. The transom is full on the boat but then there is of course the raised splash well with 2 holes for drainage. If I go to a tiller setup, I would want to remove that splash well as it just takes away room and would require a tiller extension. Can anyone tell me if this splash well increases stability of the hull or is imperative to have structurally. Boat seems very solid without it, but again, my knowledge to this point is limited.

Thanks for any help and will try to post pictures soon.

duckfoot said:
Can anyone tell me if this splash well increases stability of the hull or is imperative to have structurally. Boat seems very solid without it, but again, my knowledge to this point is limited.

Thanks for any help and will try to post pictures soon.

I'm inclined to say yes, it is part of the transom structure. But would have to see some pics before making a final determination. Does it have any knee braces?

Not sure what a knee brace is, I am in the process of cleaning the entire hull with the shop vac, so I will take some pics. I'd like to get rid of the splashwell all together even if that includes adding aluminum supports. I'm converting the boat to a tiller so being able to get closer to the transom with a seat is a need. Heading to Minneapolis this weekend, but will try to get pics before or after. Thanks, Matt.

:WELCOME: to da bayou, DuckFoot.

as you grow with us here in the Tin Boats family,
you will find that PHOTOS help the gallery
to provide you more accurate answers to your issues
if they are posted along with your questions.

Here is my 1988 Blue Fin 1648 MV. I bought it from a
pro tour bass fisherman so it was already to go. All I did
was do some plumbing and wiring repairs and it was good to go.
I made the PVC "Crappie Station" in the back for my wife.
it is quickly removable when just bass fishing.
It has a 50hp Force and it scoots along at a brisk pace.
It has a very unique splash guard in front of the motor.

If your Blue Fin is like mine, I would personally NOT recommend
changing it for a tiller setup. I would suggest you find another boat
that better suits your needs if you are dead set on the tiller.

Attachments

• Bass Boat 014.JPG
    Bass Boat 014.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 600
  • Bass Boat 013.JPG
    Bass Boat 013.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 600
  • Bass Boat 017.JPG
    Bass Boat 017.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 600
  • Bass Boat 008.JPG
    Bass Boat 008.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 600
I did this exact same thing to my bluefin. Remove the splashwell but built a new one. Have been using it for five years now with no problems.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 589
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 589
Newbie600rr - :WELCOME: to da hood.

good photos. Could you do a couple more from the back
to show how the motor fits the modified transom?

I am getting ready to sell mine and if anyone should ask
how to modify the transom, you may shed some light on the subject.

and, it would be a great idea for you new guys to complete your
profile so we can see what part of the country you hail from.

Finally got a chance to take a pic of the boat. Transom is in process of drying yet, used exterior grade w/ loc tite 3. Will resin coat that when it is finally done drying. Anyway, getting back to my prior post, not sure if the bracket from the bottom of the hull to the transom is a knee brace?

Again, I removed a 50hp yamaha that had controls and bought a 40hp Evinrude tiller. They both weighed about 170lbs. I also removed the factory splashwell from the boat, It was only caulked to the transom board and rivoted to the gunwales. If it did provide support I would only think it would be for the flexing of the gunwales? I can put in aluminum angles if need, but would rather not if I didn't have to?

Thanks for any help!

Matt

Attachments

• 3024 (1).jpeg
    3024 (1).jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 536
  • transom splashwell.jpg
    transom splashwell.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 536
So I wound up getting the project pretty much done. I wound up not putting the splashwell in. Wound up with some lightweight composites to use for the flooring. Like the tiller setup way better than the console. Took it for a rip on the river today, 33 mph with two people in it w/ 40 hp evinrude.

Attachments

• BOAT 1.jpg
    BOAT 1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 464
  • BOAT 2.jpg
    BOAT 2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 464

Latest posts