Mini Towers ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled this pic off another site. Guys on that site were saying towers/poling platforms add too much weight to aluminum boats. They say just stand in the bow and pole them backwards. But I would like some extra height when site fishing for redfish. Just have to counterbalance the weight by having one of my really, really big friends ride up front I guess.

Attachments

• PolingPlatformAlumBoat.png
    PolingPlatformAlumBoat.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,835
I'm not sure how stable they would be. I've seen them on some pretty small saltwater boats though. I just don't understand the benefit or purpose of them?? I live in southern Minnesota right on the missippi and have never seen one.

Slough Runner said:
I'm not sure how stable they would be. I've seen them on some pretty small saltwater boats though. I just don't understand the benefit or purpose of them?? I live in southern Minnesota right on the missippi and have never seen one.

Many of the (fiberglass) boats in Crystal River have them. They are used for site fishing for redfish, cobia, etc. I even see them on Gheenoes all the time.

CrystalRiverFishing said:
Pulled this pic off another site. Guys on that site were saying towers/poling platforms add too much weight to aluminum boats. They say just stand in the bow and pole them backwards. But I would like some extra height when site fishing for redfish. Just have to counterbalance the weight by having one of my really, really big friends ride up front I guess.

Pods would be a huge benefit here. I think Smackdaddy has a polling platform on his rig.

I'm meeting with a shop tomorrow. I only want the tower seat to be at or a few inches above the gunnels. 2 butt wide for the Admiral and me. We use this boat for the backwaters of Salt River and along the mangroves from the barge canal to H-sassa River. Hard to see where the rocks have moved to when sitting in the back at the tiller :) I've seen one that was on my exact jon, G3 1756 , go by the dock, but I couldn't catch him to talk about it. The G3's are pretty stout, so the tower shouldn't affect it much if you do it right.

Thought about building one for my Lund until I remembered my 25 Yamaha has manual tilt that gets used a bit with all the oyster rakes down my way. [-X

Mine will have a poling platform as soon as money allows. For now I put my Gator box cooler on the back and stand on it to get a little more height. Doing this my 21' push pole is a little too long but been doing it a long time so I get used to it.

Now, if you want to talk about a tower boat....here you go.

richg99

https://www.google.com/search?q=image+tower+boats+texas&newwindow=1&rlz=1CATAAB_enUS635US635&espv=2&biw=1333&bih=600&tbm=isch&imgil=yK-wSeJl_8hkSM%253A%253BsQQKaIhAS4R5qM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.thehulltruth.com%25252Fboating-forum%25252F443602-who-makes-custom-looking-bay-flats-boats-4.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=yK-wSeJl_8hkSM%253A%252CsQQKaIhAS4R5qM%252C_&usg=__-0AQlitI_tLZy4fnXhxj2P4yOjQ%3D&dpr=0.9&ved=0ahUKEwiA6fvJpdzLAhVTgiYKHRTNA0AQyjcIJQ&ei=Imz1VoDQFNOEmgGUmo-ABA#imgrc=yK-wSeJl_8hkSM%3A

SCB1.jpg

In the process of checking with Yamaha to see if Model # F40 BTLR can be converted to helm steer. If we can, then hopefully we can start within the next 3 weeks...