About to start a carpeting project ... a few questions.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girevik

Reaction score
I have a new-to-me boat that I am about to start working on. The carpet and wood in my boat are in need of replacement.

The wood is in OK shape, it is still fairly solid but wasn't treated very well and is starting to get soft around the edges. The carpet is started to get thin/tear along the edges. I was going to take the wood and carpet out before it is no longer useful and make templates.

What should I treat the wood with prior to gluing the carpet down? I saw some Rust-Oleum Marine Spar Varnish at Home Depot. Is that the sort of thing I should use?

I saw several posts where people used contact cement to glue the carpets. Is this still a good idea ... are they better options?

Once the wood is treated and the carpet is on, what should I do about the holes that are created when I screw the panels down? Should I worry about those?

Thanks.

This is what I used. You can check out the detail in the link below my signature. The screw heads will disappear. I did this project in 2011 and it has been fished out of 100s of times since and has held up well. Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• Boat Stuff 001.jpg
    Boat Stuff 001.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 745
  • Boat Stuff 003.jpg
    Boat Stuff 003.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 745
  • Boat Stuff 004.jpg
    Boat Stuff 004.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 745
I also used the Helmsman shown above, but I used satin cause I figured a less-shiny surface would allow the carpet glue to stick better. I realize that probably makes no difference after working with the peanut butter consistency of the glue. I used the DAP brand outdoor carpet adhesive. Three coats of the Helmsman and then a solid coat of the carpet adhesive and I can foresee no problems with moisture. Also, if you apply the carpet and then immediately screw the panels down into the boat, the screw heads will disappear into the carpet and also be sealed by the still-wet glue.

Latest posts