Foam in bow and mod questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've got a 15ft Meyers, old enough to not have a data plate, 2 piece hull joined in bottom center and cast aluminum corner gussets. Used to be console steer but controls were taken out and converted to tiller well before I owned it.

I have owned since 2012 and am finally tired of vacuuming the little foam balls out of the boat after every use. When I got it the bow compartment smelled of mice so I kinda figured what had happened. Anyways I finally decided to take the bow apart and replace the foam. It is full of just pieces of regular styrofoam, is this likely original? It appeared as though I was the first to remove the bow cover but not sure.

Anyways I didn't start this project like many of you with modifications in mind, however since I am this far I am now wondering if I could fix a few annoyances I have with the boat. The guy that sits up front is always crowded with stuff around his feet due to the design of the boat, I was wondering if any of you had any ideas on how I could make a specific anchor compartment somehow so it's not rolling around on the floor by their feet.

I do kinda have a weight issue in the back as there is me(200lbs), the 18hp evinrude fastwin, deep cycle/starting battery, and a 55lb thrust minn Kota. I usually put the 6gal tank either just forward or just aft of the center seat. So I thought of trying to move battery up forward but don't want the boat to nose dive either. My passenger rants from dad(200#), to my best friend (320#).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 626
After pulling out the mouse nest and foam I am sure it's not original judging by the shoe print on one piece of foam

Yea, usually that area would be 1 big piece cut to fit. Make sure you replace it with some type of closed cell foam . It doesn't make it run or float any better but it is there for a reason. I'm sure standards have chnged a bit since it was new. But every little bit helps.

Regarding the anchor rolling around....I presume it is kept behind the front seat. You could scribe some cardboard and make a little box for the anchor. That would take up space permanently at his feet, though.

You might reduce the "rolling around" by simply dropping it into a plastic bucket.

As with all small fishing boats....."so little room; so much stuff".

Sorry that I haven't got any better ideas. richg99

we currently put the anchor in a bucket most of the time, but then theres a bucket, tackle box, sometimes a gas tank, fish basket, all around their feet, and i have the battery, another bucket with anchor, tackle box, etc all around my feet. Guess i need a bigger boat, just wish i could afford it. :cry:

I did something similar years ago, but smaller scale. I used expanding foam in a trash bag placed in the box I was filling. I let it overflow. Cur off the excess. It was formed to the hole but not attached to the boat. I wanted to be able to remove it later. just an idea.

Latest posts