My new to me Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotcaller

Reaction score
Well I've had a Nitro Z7 for many years but got tired of big tournaments and pulling it so I am coming back to my roots. Sold the Nitro and did a little horse trading for a 1974 Welcraft flat bottom. It's 14 feet long and 42 wide at the front. It came with a 1984 15 hp Evinrude (that has yet to start). Me and my youngest boy took it out today for a test run. It's different than what we had, but we like it. The guy I got it from decked it to high in the front in my opinion and he didn't waterproof the wood. Needles to say we will be modifying how we like it in the near future. Here is a pick of my little one helping me load it. Wife took the pic. It looks like he is by himself but I am standing right in front of him in the water. Enjoy and God bless. Excited to be back!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 636
Boats were the best memories I have of my early years. That 14 footer should move right along with 15 hp.

Well done. He will appreciate more of what it takes to control and handle a boat when he is helping you drive that one, as opposed to a 20-foot behemoth.

Funny how many of us "return to our roots".

I started out with an 11 foot foam sailboat; gradually raised the bar until we had a 27 foot Catalina Sailboat; moved to a 16 ft power boat; up to a 20 foot Gulf Coast (BW knockoff with a tunnel) with a big 150 hp engine; and am now down to 3 kayaks and a 16 ft. G3.

Full circle, I guess. I love it! Ha Ha regards, richg99

Congrats on the new boat. I did the same. Bass boats are gone. No more fiberglass to worry about in the weather. Low maintenance , easy to handle.

I have a 1542 Tracker with a 1993 15 HP, and I get 21 MPH wide open (don't do that much). I get 18 MPH with 2 guys and a ton of duck hunting gear. Good luck with the boat. Once you get it the way you like it, it's all just great memories from there. My youngest is 17 years old, we he still looks forward to getting out on the boat...

Latest posts