Picking my first boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, after browsing around the website for a while, I finally joined. I didn't realize how big the jon boat community really was.

I've been considered getting one to mod since I was in high school, and now I finally have the opportunity.

The search has been narrowed down to two boats, and I'd like a little input from everyone here. If there's a similar thread, feel free to link me to it.

I'm trying to decide between a Tracker Topper 1542 LW or a G3 1436.

The Topper I'm looking at will run me about $1,200, and the G3 is a year old and I can snag for $845.

Other than the length, the biggest differences is the Topper is rated for a 25 HP and the G3 for a 15 HP. Also, the Topper holds up to 770 lbs and the G3 600 lbs. Hull gauge for the G3 is 0.054 and the Topper 0.063.

Since this is my first buy, I'm looking to get it right. Whatever I get, I want to add a front and back deck to, as well as a live well.

I guess my biggest question is whether or not it's worth the extra cash to get one just a tad bigger with a build-in live well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

IMO, I wouldn't get either of them.

Keep your eye out for a 1448 or 1648, it will save you from having to get another boat in a year or two :LOL2:

But, of the two you mentioned, I like the larger size boat, but considering it's a tracker I'd go w/ the G3.

Ictalurus said:
IMO, I wouldn't get either of them.

Keep your eye out for a 1448 or 1648, it will save you from having to get another boat in a year or two :LOL2:

But, of the two you mentioned, I like the larger size boat, but considering it's a tracker I'd go w/ the G3.

I would agree. Save a little extra cash, and look for a bigger boat. That "48" will make a world of difference.

Well, turns out I may not be getting either.

I just stumbled upon a deal on a 16X52 with two trolling motors, a 25 HP motor, decks already built with storage and a livewell, LED lights, and a Hummingbird 797 with GPS and side imaging for only 2K.

If everything floats (and at least most of the stuff works), I'll have it tomorrow 8)

BStringfield88 said:

I just stumbled upon a deal on a 16X52 with two trolling motors, a 25 HP motor, decks already built with storage and a livewell, LED lights, and a Hummingbird 797 with GPS and side imaging for only 2K.

If everything floats (and at least most of the stuff works), I'll have it tomorrow 8)
That sounds too good to be true. Unless none of the stuff works.

-CN- said:
BStringfield88 said:

That sounds too good to be true. Unless none of the stuff works.

That was my thought. I definitely want to see it float first ...

Turns out it was a 1975 hull which had a deck built on it then, instead of taking out the old one, he built a new deck ON TOP OF the old. #-o

I've honed in on an Alumacraft 1448, and I should be picking it up in a few weeks! Thanks for the help everyone. I look forward to starting work on it.

Latest posts