Couple project questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danaelk

Reaction score
Hello All;
Couple of simple questions:

I want to put foam underneath the floor decking of my 1442 AlumaCraft. I believe closed cell foam will not absorb and hold water. Is this true?

If I foam between all of the floor ribs before decking, does the water that gets dragged into the boat have a problem making it's way back to the rear of the boat where my bilge will be?

Thanks in advance for your help

You can do some research on "closed cell foam", but the blue and pink board sold at the big box stores works just fine. I even used pool noodles on my last build.

Regarding the water, does your boat have strakes? Water should flow in those, under the foam, just fine.

I just put the Blue foam under my deck on my new hull.

With the exact same concerns that you had, and the fact that my strakes are partially filled with thick trolling motor wires etc., I cut each foam "board" about 3/4 of an inch short (narrower). My thought is that the foam filler "boards" will still do most of their job, all of the while letting any water flow around them more easily.

I wanted the water to flow out of the hull as fast as possible so that it wouldn't be sitting and soaking the foam for days at a time.

richg99

Latest posts