Best place to order sheet metal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazydrake

Reaction score
Everywhere around town I have been seems super high on sheet metal.

I'm looking for a 4x8 piece of .100 thickness to redo my flooring in my boat.

Any idea what a good price would be? Or where to order from?

Not sure where you are located but I have a aluminum fabrication shop near my house that I deal with. They always seem fair on prices. Biggest issue is shipping on a 4x8 piece of aluminum. It's not something that UPS can just drop off at your door. The shop usually buys in bulk. Sometimes I have to wait a week or two until they do a new order but that's never been a problem.

Drake said: Everywhere around town I have been seems super high on sheet metal.

Drake, where do you live ??
where have you looked ??
and, what are you comparing your prices to ??
what brings you to the point of making the decision that "everyone is super high" ??
Luckily, there is a metal plant in my town and
a 4x8 sheet with mill finish in my area is around $80 for .080"
Also, in Orlando, there is a Sign Supply company that sells aluminum 4x8 sheets
painted or bare mill finish for super cheap.
if you Google up "aluminum sheet" you will find HUNDREDS of places, maybe
some in your own back yard that you don't know about, with "acceptable" prices.

Just depends on where you live.

when asking specific questions like this, it is most helpful if you
complete your profile with your location so we, the gallery, can
see from what port you hail from.

I always go to discountsteel.com when I am budgeting a project to see what the ballpark price is.

Me being near a large city means we have several high volume metal supply houses locally. I have found the ones catering to the fence building industry give the best pricing due to their volume of sales.

A source I have used in the past is a local metal recycling center. From time to time I have found exactly the sizes I have needed that might have a little bit of oxidation. Price is per pound will always be below market price for clean material from a supply house.

Rob

I bought mine from an industrial salvage yard here in PA., there may be something like that in your area.
Priced per pound there also.

I live in Lafayette, LA. Everywhere I have priced has been over 300$ for a 4x8 of .90

We get a lot of our aluminum from reliance metal center, their nation wide with many divisons/distributors of different names, a sheet of .100 weighs about 45lbs;; would think you should get it less then $4 a lb, we are paying less then $3 per lb buying 100s of lbs at a time and that delivered to our shop, pick it up at their wearhouse will help on the price https://www.rsac.com/index.php/contact/details/113

I would check out these 3 yards near you and then decide new versus used:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Lafayatte+LA+aluminum+salvage+yard&oq=Lafayatte+LA+aluminum+salvage+yard&aqs=chrome..69i57.15527j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#nfpr=1&q=Lafayette+LA+aluminum+salvage+yard
New:
https://www.aluminumandstainless.com/
Happy hunting

Latest posts