Remove outboard and go full electric?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyGoat

Reaction score
Back in 2013 I bought a 2013 14' Polar Kraft Deep V to replace the kayak I was fishing out of. I liked the kayak but wanted to be able to go out on some of the bigger lakes. The first two years I fished the lakes quite a bit but last year with the weather, projects and the 2 lakes being over an hour drive away I really didn't go out at all. I miss being able to just go to one of the many electric only reservoirs closer to me but my boat has one shitty battery and a transom trolling motor. It's really not well suited for the electric only fishing. I've been thinking all winter about selling my 20hp outboard and buying a nice bow mount trolling motor and a couple batteries. I have the boat decked with pedestal seats and stuff which makes the boat rather heavy to begin with and adding the bow mount and batteries would be too much weight. Anyone gone all electric and regretted it? Suggestions?

I went through hell and back to find my outboard so I want to make sure I not making the wrong decision.

RustyGoat said:
Back in 2013 I bought a 2013 14' Polar Kraft Deep V to replace the kayak I was fishing out of. I liked the kayak but wanted to be able to go out on some of the bigger lakes. The first two years I fished the lakes quite a bit but last year with the weather, projects and the 2 lakes being over an hour drive away I really didn't go out at all. I miss being able to just go to one of the many electric only reservoirs closer to me but my boat has one shitty battery and a transom trolling motor. It's really not well suited for the electric only fishing. I've been thinking all winter about selling my 20hp outboard and buying a nice bow mount trolling motor and a couple batteries. I have the boat decked with pedestal seats and stuff which makes the boat rather heavy to begin with and adding the bow mount and batteries would be too much weight. Anyone gone all electric and regretted it? Suggestions?

I went through hell and back to find my outboard so I want to make sure I not making the wrong decision.

Who says you have to sell the outboard?

For the effort and expense, I'd look around for a 12' old jon boat, and putter with your existing troller.

Depends on the water, of course.

Keep us up to date. I'd keep the 20, though.

jasper60103 said:
RustyGoat said:

Who says you have to sell the outboard?
Primary reason for selling would be to pay for the trolling motor and batteries. A nice bow mount is pricey. I would like to go 24v which means at least 2 batteries also.

Latest posts