U1 battery for starting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
I'm sitting here thinking about how I'm going to redistribute the weight in my boat. Before it was torn down, my console was mounted right in the middle, which allowed me to carry my starting battery and fuel in the back near the engine. My console will now be mounted further back, and I'm thinking about moving the 6 gallon fuel tank, and starting battery up front.

My question is, will a U1 battery suffice as a dedicated starting battery? Looks like its 230 CCA. This will be for a 40 hp ETEC. I never had any problems with my group 24 starting battery before, but I think it might be overkill for a dedicated starting battery.

A U1 should crank it ok as long as the battery is in good shape. I know that size is used to crank 25 hp 4s, so it should work. does the 40 have charging capabilities to keep it charged good?

Yes sir...my last battery went 3 years without having a charger put on it. I used it every week or two.

would think a battery from a pwc would work also,,, have a Waverunner with a 110 hp 3 cylinder, start and stop it way more then any fish n boat I use , replace battery every 2 or 3 years

I was thinking a U1 was about the same size/capacity as a PWC. I'm gonna go to West Marine today and compare.

I really just want to cut some weight out of the boat. Before I had a group 25 starting battery, and two group 27's. One dedicated to trolling motor, and one dedicated to stereo, lights, bilge pump, ect. Weighing in at 55 lbs each, I feel like I could cut out at least half of that with a U1 starting, and group 24 house battery.

Latest posts