Motor Weight Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishguymatt_

Reaction score
Gents,

looking for some advice here.....

My 14 Tracker mid v wide body has a rating of 755Lbs w Motor, Gear, and People & a 25HP rating. I have a new 25HP 4 Stroke Merc I am planning on putting on her.....

A friend of mine recently told me that the new 4 stroke motors are heavier than old 2 strokes and it might be to heavy for the back of the boat - Merc specs have it at 157Lbs. 755-157= 598lbs for gear and people. I get that this will sit a bit lower in the water and do plan on putting some plexi glass on the transom custom cut to help with splash back in waves and slowing down.

Thoughts and or opinions on my situation welcome please! Thanks!

I've got the same boat. My 25 hp 2 stroke Evinrude weighs 156 lbs AND it's setback 4" on a jackplate.
Is your motor a long shaft? You may want to plan on elevating the motor on your transom if you're planning on going shallow. Check out my thread...https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39910

2015 Tracker Grizzly 1448 MVX
1996 Evinrude 25hp 3 cylinder looper

Thanks for the input and direction to your thread, good read... I am not really planning on fishing shallows like you seem to be, so i dont think its an issue with that. My main concern is how low the stearn will sit when docked or slow going? The motor weights are the exact same and boats are very similar. I think with adding a splash guard of some sorts I should be ok, and like someone mentioned in your thread keeping weight up front with batteries, gear, and people.

any other inputs is welcome please guys! cheers!

Latest posts