about to purchase my first jon boat; Tracker Fisherman 16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will21190

Reaction score
I'm in need of advice on a tracker fisherman 16 ft jon boat. it's the the one that looks like a drift because it's only 32'' wide and was only made around 2009. the one I'm looking at has a 5hp engine and a trolling motor all for around $2000. is this a fair price? thanks!

That price seems a little high to me. Also I would be weary or a 32 inch wide boat. It will be very tippy. I don't know what kind of fishing you do but putting decks in that narrow of a boat would not be a good idea.

killintime said:
That price seems a little high to me. Also I would be weary or a 32 inch wide boat. It will be very tippy. I don't know what kind of fishing you do but putting decks in that narrow of a boat would not be a good idea.

X2

paid 2k for a new welded G3 vbw 1548 hull,,, got a new 6hp tohatsu for 1200.. 200 for TM and 7 or 8 hundred for a trailer, wouldn't have a boat that size and it not be 48 or more wide,,,jmo

Does seem a little high doing a quick search on google and they had 9.9 motors. The ones I found were 16' long by 42" beam. Made for small ponds and the like. Not sure what type fishing you are planning to do? These were 2008's but it doesn't look like they were made to many years.

Definitely seems a little high but its value is up to you. At 2000 on a used boat and motor. I'd want more hp and a trailer. If it's easier for you to buy as a whole group boat and motors maybe it's a good deal for you. But I think you'll quickly find you want more motor. If you piece it together I think you'll come up with a 1648 and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with everyone else on TB. I live in KY, and that does seem a high price or a 1632. Honestly, a 32" wide boat is really narrow and this being your first boat, I'd go for wider. I have a 1542, and have no stability issues. Just my honest opinion. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with everyone above. Thirty-two inches is much too narrow a boat, especially for a first-time owner. It will be tippy, and even at 16 feet long, will be unstable in almost any chop.

My advice is to shop a lot more. This is the time of year when boats are going on the market from folks who just don't use theirs anymore, or decide they want a bigger one, or have some itch they want to scratch.

As mentioned, many offers on Craig's list will be for the whole package: boat, trailer, and motor--often with a trolling motor and battery as well.

Even at a major discount from the price you stated, I wouldn't buy that rig. It just has no versatility and could be considered dangerous, whether you are an olympic swimmer or not.

Shop shop shop.

Best wishes. [-o<

What is the boat's HP, persons, and max weight ratings?

I'm of the thought that anything under 36" wide on the bottom is only a pond boat or one for water where you absolutely know you won't have any boat traffic or rough water.

As to the price, it seems very high to me. If the TM, outboard, boat, and trailer are all in pristine condition, then their value may add up to $2k, however, as a package setup that will not appeal to very many people out there so given the laws of supply and demand I'd value it a good chunk lower. For $2k you could get likely find a pretty nice 1442 up to a 1648 with a trolling motor and 10-25hp motor which would be the route I would go.

a 32" bottom is just plain out to narrow ... i would look for a used 1648 it or something with atleast a 42" bottom! especially for around 2 g's

where are you from ??
do you have any restrictions for the waters you will
be boating in the most often? rivers or lakes ? salt water ?

okay - PRIOR to pulling the trigger on a new rig.
The gallery here suggests you do a lot MORE reading of the
forums here about length, width, horsepower, and STABILITY.
THEN - get what you think will be SAFE for you and your passengers.

jus my Dos Centavos

putting decks in that narrow of a boat is NOT a good idea
especially when you come back later asking about cutting out seats,
putting in live wells, motor jacks, transom modifications, yada yada yada

Johnny said:
where are you from ??
do you have any restrictions for the waters you will
be boating in the most often? rivers or lakes ? salt water ?

okay - PRIOR to pulling the trigger on a new rig.
The gallery here suggests you do a lot MORE reading of the
forums here about length, width, horsepower, and STABILITY.
THEN - get what you think will be SAFE for you and your passengers.

jus my Dos Centavos

putting decks in that narrow of a boat is NOT a good idea
especially when you come back later asking about cutting out seats,
putting in live wells, motor jacks, transom modifications, yada yada yada

All good points. If you are still really interested in this boat, try to take it out on the water to test it out before you buy it. You may find it stable enough for your needs or you may wipe your brow in relief that you didn't go ahead and buy such a narrow boat.

Most of you are too young to know the war that Ralph Nader
waged on General Motors in the mid-1960s.
The Corvair was a spiffy little car that had "stability issues".
I owned 4 of them in my younger years but always drove
them responsibly and with safety always in my mind.
In 1965, my friend had one and we turned it over on its side
just from hitting the little hump in the centerline of the road the wrong way.
ralph_nader.jpg

So, now, to the issue of a narrow boat.... 32 inches wide is NOT safe.
unless, you are using it as a Cajun Pirogue pushing it with a pole in da Bayou.

1632 is UNSAFE at ANY SPEED.

Hey, Johnny. We had one of those Corvairs too. We loved it.

Would have kept it except we were always getting car sick in it. Seemed that the heater shroud... around the air-cooled engine ....was picking up leaking head gasket fumes and pumping them into the cabin.

If we kept the heater off, we could drive a long way. Of course, living in Chicago way back then...we needed the heater much of the year.

Traded it in before all of our brain cells were gone.

richg99

Latest posts