1989 Bass Tracker TX 17

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallicis

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals

I have a 89 tracker that I got from my dad. I just put a new lower unit on it and it is running great. Now its time for some TLC. The deck, floor and carpet needs to be replaced.

So I have done some research and it looks like I am going to need about 3 sheets of ABX ply wood, and I need to coat it with some kind of epoxy. Does any one know what kind and where is a good place to order it on line.

I also plan to put in a recessed trolling motor tray while I am redoing the deck. Has anyone that has about about this year model done this? Will I encounter any issues with anything under the deck?

I have some questions about carpet. I am going to go with 20oz carpet. I think I will need around 25 feet to cover everything and redo the inside of the boxes. Is this enough? Also what kind of glue should I use. I found some that is for marine carpet, is there an alternative that might be cheaper and still work as good? Also does anyone have any advise on where to order carpet from?

I also think I will need to replace the foam. What should I use?

Thanks!

I am about to start carpeting my 16' tin bass boat this weekend. I ordered 6x30 feet of 16oz carpet. I plan to also do inside storage as well. I will let you know how the coverage is with 30' of carpet. I am going to use outdoor carpet glue from Home Depot. I used it on a deck for a 12' jon boat. I sold the boat but the deck has been laying between my garage and shed getting rained on only slightly. It is still stuck on there 2 years later. I went with spar urethane to protect my wood so I can't report on that yet. After 3 coats on each side of each part I am tired of the process. I always cover the boat so I don't really see any issues with rot. I did go 4 coats on the floor (8 coats on the sides) because I figured that would see the most water.
Good luck and don't be in a rush. You will soon find out that it is quite a bit of work but enjoyable.

Funny as it may sound, I got it from Boatcarpet.com $209.99 free shipping. I have yet to take it out of the plastic and unroll it. They will send you free samples.

Funny as it may sound, I got it from Boatcarpet.com $209.99 free shipping. I have yet to take it out of the plastic and unroll it. They will send you free samples.

To seal the plywood try a mix of what's called the "Old Timers Formula". 1 part boiled linseed oil 1 part spar urethane or varnish and 2 parts mineral spirts.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
To seal the plywood try a mix of what's called the "Old Timers Formula". 1 part boiled linseed oil 1 part spar urethane or varnish and 2 parts mineral spirts.

I was reading something like that on a forum. The post I read was using that formula for the first coat and straight spar urethane for the remaining coats.

Latest posts