Type of foam?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint KY

Reaction score
I am replacing the decking in my '85 Monark and all the foam is exposed. The foam in the boat is a grey color and fairly dense. What I mean by that is that each piece is heavy for its size compared to the white foam used in packaging. It is dry so I do not believe it is water-logged. So here is the question: Should I replace the foam? I have lots of packing type foam that I have been collecting just for this project. Or should I just replace the original foam that came out of the boat and perhaps add what white foam I can to the existing space where I can.

Thanks

If it's closed-cell foam that's in there now, that is what you want. Packaging foam is just beaded styrofoam, isn't it? That stuff isn't dense enough. Sounds like what's in there now is correct.

It sounds like the right foam but maybe not. Stop by a Lowes, Home Depot or Menards and look at the pink or blue foam insulating panels and see if it similar.

The dense foam is better, so don't throw it away. It is less flammable than styrofoam. BTW, styrofoam (foam board)+ gasoline = napalm. Even knowing that, I used foam board under my floor. If the boat ever catches fire, I'm swimming away fast! To think of it, in the waters I normally boat in, I can wade away . . .

I replaced the original foam under the new floor deck and will leave the original under the front and rear raised deck but will add what new packing foam I can in the spaces around the original where I can. There is a lot of "additional" space available around the large blocks of the original foam in the two compartments that the Manufacturer filled back in 1985.

Thanks all.

Latest posts