Seat pedestal bases

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
I'm doing a little research for some of the essential things I will need to get immediately for a new boat I am getting. One of those items are seat pedestal bases. I've never shopped for them before, only the pedestals themselves. I know Springfield is a good company and that is what I was leaning towards. Any other suggestions? I'm wanting the basic 3/4" pin style to be able to swap seats and pedestals between this new boat and my old one. I'm not sure if my other boat's bases are Springfield or not but I have a Springfield offset post that works with them fine.

I found this Springfield base on iboats. Searching the model number on Springfield's website, it says it is a mild steel base with a krinkle finish and has the nylon style bushing. What do you think of it? Is a really good price currently.

https://www.iboats.com/7-X-7-Steel-...3411317--session_id.404088377--view_id.237835

remember those style are only rated for 5 mph or less...as long as you are ok with that then they are fine

check here for deals on Springfield stuff!! Factory scratch and dent items

https://www.springfieldgrp.com/scratch-dent-store

Yeah but what he's saying is when he's driving to pull the pedestal out and just pop the seat right in. I do the same thing, also have the same boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was planning on using them exactly as Catch Release Repeat uses his. The speed rating doesn't really worry me as, like him, I would never be on the seat on the pedestal while under way. My boat will probably be a sub 20mph rig anyways. I try not to disregard manufacturer safety warnings, but I bet the rating on the base is as it is because they give all of the ones in the Kingpin series that rating so that people don't try to sit on the pedestal assembly at significant speeds.

Been a while since I bought mine but I think they are Sierra brand. I only use a pedestal for the front seat. My rule of thumb that I go by is if the boat is going to go on plane or close to it, then the pedestal comes out or the person in that seat sits on the ice chest in the middle of the boat. If I'm just going to fast idle to a new location, I don't worry about it. Been doing it like that for about 4 years now with no issues. Max speed I've probably done with the pedestal in is probably 8-10mph. I'm talking about calm water though, if it's rough or choppy, the person in front moves to the ice chest seat.

JMichael said:
Been a while since I bought mine but I think they are Sierra brand. I only use a pedestal for the front seat. My rule of thumb that I go by is if the boat is going to go on plane or close to it, then the pedestal comes out or the person in that seat sits on the ice chest in the middle of the boat. If I'm just going to fast idle to a new location, I don't worry about it. Been doing it like that for about 4 years now with no issues. Max speed I've probably done with the pedestal in is probably 8-10mph. I'm talking about calm water though, if it's rough or choppy, the person in front moves to the ice chest seat.

It's definitely a matter of just using common sense. But...some people just don't have it. For example, last summer a couple of friends and I were fishing for catfish in the tail waters of the Guntersville dam on the Tennessee river. They were not releasing a ton of water that day but it was still a strong current and was creating those big ocean-like waves for a few hundred yards directly downstream. We were there in a big Lowe 1860 and was still rough. As we are leaving, we noticed a small 14' jon boat going wide open through those waves with a girl sitting in a pedestal on the front deck. The bow was porpoising really bad as well. As we passed them and got a better look, it also appeared she was pregnant! We were so shocked we didn't do anything, when looking back, we probably should have reported them to the marine police as I also don't think they were wearing life jackets which is required that close to the dam.

I went ahead and bought those two seat bases I linked off of iboats. I also got on the Springfield Scratch and dent site and loaded up on some other stuff too. I got a pair of the jon boat bench seat clamps with the swivel, 2 double hole pedestal bases that I can use in the future as a place for a third seat in the middle area, and some pinned seat bases.

The two bases from iboats arrived yesterday. I really like the look of the black powdercoating. I was initially worried that might cause it to heat up more but in reality the stainless steel versions probably get just as hot, if not hotter, in the sun. Maybe I can add some pics tonight. My scratch and dent shipment is also scheduled to be delivered today. Now just awaiting the call to go pick up the new boat lol.