caught a break on a bowmount!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perchjerker

Reaction score
Been keeping an eye on CL for about a month now for a electric troller. Transom or bowmount. Most likely transom just because of the price.

On an old 18ft Crestliner Sportfish I had, it had a Minn Kota AP 65 24 volt power drive with the co pilot remote on it.

Loved that motor. Would love to have something like that on my 14fter I am working on now, but in 12 volt.

But alas, money is limiting that choice.

I have considered a few 40 lb range transom mounts, but the good ones go fast, and the others are just overpriced junk

So yesterday, I see an ad that caught my eye for some reason. It was not for a motor, but a co pilot remote unit for $60

So I click on it. Turns out the guy is selling it because the motor he had it on died.

Died? Oh really..no description of the motor, he did not know the model, only that it was 12 volts.

The is a partial pic of it in the background in one of the pics. Has the universal transducer.

Hmmm...

On my AP65, it died once, it was just a bad solder joint on the motor. But I took the thing completely apart so I know the motor pretty good. Also broke the composite shaft once, and replaced that myself as it had a lifetime warranty but not on labor as it was getting older when that happened.

Maybe I can fix this motor? I know control boards are a common problem, so I look it and some other parts up, they are still available.

So I contact him. I tell him I only will buy the co pilot if he gives me the motor (and foot control)

I go look at it today, a real nice fellow, lives on a lake, has 3-4 different boats. Retired sheriff. The motor is on a deck boat. He tells me if it does not work out, he will buy it back.

So what do I have to lose? So I buy it

Turns out its 55lb thrust. Perfect! I do have a factory service manual for these motors and the troubleshooting it pretty straight forward. I just hope the motor did not get water in it and rust up, it prop spun freely, actually the entire motor is in real good shape for a 2004.

After a few minutes diagnosing, yep it the control board. $71 plus shipping. I will have it next week.

So I will have a 55lb bow mount power drive with wireless remote on the boat after all!!!

Now I just have to figure out how to mount it, when I built my front deck I was not really planning on putting a bow mount on it. But I will get it done!

You can be creative.

Incidentally, I have a trolling motor mount that came off of my Lowe 16 that I have no use for. If it will help your project and you will pay shipping, it is yours. It is 7 x 21 (longest point) by about 5 inches high. The height can be adjusted up another couple of inches.

richg99

Attachments

• IMG_20160409_095838.jpg
    IMG_20160409_095838.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 598
Got the control board today, hooked it up and its working again!!!

Now to get it mounted. Will do that this week, its going to be pretty simple after looking at it closely

Sweet! I have one question. Where does one go for a factory service manual for ones trolling motor?
I'm thinking I should own one for mine after reading about all the potential problems with the copilot trollers...

2015 Tracker Grizzly 1448 MVX
1996 Evinrude 25hp 3 cylinder looper

I got the battery

Its quite the honker! Its been a while since I had a electric trolling motor, kinda forgot how large the batteries are.

I am not sure about mounting in the bow compartment. There is plenty of room for it but I am afraid I am going to weigh the bow down too much between the motor and now the battery.

I was thinking about building a box for it behind the wall I built for the front deck, on the floor. Then I could also use it as a step to help deploy/retrieve the motor. Or I may just put it in the bow and see.

any thoughts on this? Im really kind of hesitant on adding any more "stuff" to the boat, I think I am pushing it the way it is now lol

file.php

well this is what I have come up with for a mount. I am going to double up the plywood, glue and screw it together, hit it with the router to smooth it out a bit and cover it with vinyl. The motor mount frame will be fully supported by the plywood. There will be at least 2 bolts that will go through the motor frame to the aluminum top rail on the boat.
I will also install a safety tether (which I always do when mounting a motor)
20160412_182139.jpg

the most important part is I was able to get the head within the boundaries of the boat so it wont hit the dock. And I can still open the hatch.

Its a bit of a compromise, but life is full of compromises.

20160412_182206.jpg

mount is taking shape. I used my router and tried to shape the underside some to help level it out.

May do a bit more, then router the edges, seal and cover with vinyl. Bolt it in place. Motor is held down with a c clamp f or mow

20160414_181016.jpg

20160414_181005.jpg

richg99 said:
Looking good. Safety tether is a fine idea. Even though mine is through-bolted, I might still add a small piece of cable or strapping. Thanks for the idea. richg99

thanks Rich!

yeah, I put them on all my small motors, you just never know

One time, I was on Erie in my Grady White, headed out to walleye fish in some fairly rough seas

there was a fellow in front of me, I was trying to stay ahead of his wake in the smoother water from his vessel.

We were both clipping along pretty good.

He had a kicker on a bracket. All of the sudden I notice it hanging off the bracket at a 45 degree angle, like one of the clamps screws came loose.

I tried hailing him on the vhf, but he did not answer. We tried getting his attention and I was going to try to come midships of him at a safe distance

OOPS. Too late!! the kicker went into the lake! He just kept going on his merry way. Im sure he had no idea it was gone until he stopped to setup for his troll!!!

Yea. 15 or 20 years ago, I lost one, too.

It was a converted transom mount, made into a bow mount. Somebody (ME) started the "big" engine and took off while the TM was in the water. I watched it rip off and sink. Way too fast for me to catch it. Dragged the muddy bottom for awhile and then gave up. Saltwater probably ruined it quickly anyway. Lesson learned richg99

richg99 said:

It was a converted transom mount, made into a bow mount. Somebody (ME) started the "big" engine and took off while the TM was in the water. I watched it rip off and sink. Way too fast for me to catch it. Dragged the muddy bottom for awhile and then gave up. Saltwater probably ruined it quickly anyway. Lesson learned richg99

that hurts.

I left my bow mount motor down one time on my Crestliner and took off. Broke the composite shaft. But it all stayed in one piece. Felt like an idiot lol

richg99 said:

Been there done that. It's amazing how stuff like that never happens in 1 foot of water more like 10'

Latest posts