How to cover gunwales?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbeazy35

Reaction score
Just wondering how does everyone cover their Jon boat ribs on the inside sides of their boat? I'm open to plywood or aluminum just don't know how to connect it at the top?

Probably.. That covers in between ribs to the floor to keep stuff from falling in between

Funny that you post this query now. Just yesterday I finally got around to dealing with that area.

I didn't want to cover up the angle braces. However, where those angle braces touch the bottom of the boat and the new deck that I added, was a concern.

When I added my flat deck, I filled the under areas with blue foam. I extended that foam all of the way out to the inside edge of the gunnels. If I drop anything; it only falls as far as the outer edge of the foam. i.e....it can't slip under the deck.

So, the only issue was one of appearance. Yesterday, I glued some camo'd 1/2 x 4-inch strips lengthwise along the braces. I chose to use construction adhesive glue instead of screwing or riveting the pieces onto the boat. The reason that I chose glue was that the area that the strips covered was the same area on the braces where the bends are. Those bends are there to created a strong angle. Driving screws or rivets in them, it felt to me, would weaken the very part that I want to be strong. The PL brand construction adhesive appears to have dried solid and should hold my strips on well.

If the strips don't hold up, I have a fallback idea using small aluminum strips to fortify the joint.

With the long strips abutting the braces, small cavities are formed. The foam makes up the bottom. I can see those cavities having value for storing bottles; tools, and other objects.

I'll try to post a picture, but the boat is in the barn and I don't intend to go back there for a day or two. Hope this makes sense.

richg99

I used underlayment plywood for mine, it is around 1/4 inch. I made upper & lower panels, as the ribs have a angle change in them 1/2 way up. Primed & painted, then screwed on w/ stainless SM screws.

Latest posts