Question about finding the Hin on a smoker craft 125f?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peptoe

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I'm new here and have a question about a boat that was given to me recently. It's a smoker craft 125f that I can't find the hull ID on to get it the title straightened out. I looked on the plate and nothing.

It came with a 1973 aircooled 7.5 ted williams that has no spark. So I'm thinking it was made after 1972. Any ideas?

November 1, 1972 is when the manufacturers began using HINs. Model years often overlap between builders so it would not be unusual for there to appear to be a year difference in age. I would think there would still be a plate with a serial number so if it's not readable, you may need to take a photo of it with you at the time of registration. Your Parks & Wildlife should be able to sort it all out.

The "standard" place for the HIN, as you may well know, is the upper right (starboard) corner of the outside stern. In some cases, I've seen the HIN just scratched into the fiberglass or aluminum. In Texas, they ask you to bring in a very clear picture of the HIN, or a "Rubbing" that they describe on the TX website.

You place a white piece of paper over the scratched area and rub the flat side of a pencil over the paper. The indentations of the HIN are then transferred to your paper.

Incidentally, it is normal to have the HIN be in two places on the hull. Once, I found a second one once under the front seat! If Smoker Kraft is still in business, a phone call to them may tell you more places to look. If not, get out a mirror and check all of the "hidden" places that you can.

Hope you find it. richg99

Thank you for the quick reply, I'll follow your advice. We will see how many organs I will have to give up to tittle this thing here in california. Don't think it's going to be a quick process.

Latest posts