Help picking out a jon for backwater exploring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRB357

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago I inherited a little 1436 Alweld jon boat with a 25hp Merc Tiller. I thought it was going to be perfect for exploring the Atchafalaya Basin, plus all the rivers and bayous in the gulf south area near my south Louisiana home. It was just fine if I was alone. However it was a little unstable with my wife and son, to the point that they only came out with me one time and said not again in that boat. Also the older 2 stroke motor was a bit on the "light switch" side as far as power delivery. The little boat was only rated for a 20 hp. It ran like a bat out of hell though for a small boat. It was also very loud. I also would prefer a side console with a steering wheel. I ended up selling it a few years ago. Now I'm looking for another one.

I don't consider myself to be a super experienced boater, but I've owned two boats and a canoe. The previously mentioned jon, which I used 3 times. I also had an old Mckee with a 50 on it when I was in high school and college. Didn't use it much. I had the canoe during the same time that I used a lot on the local popular float trips in La. and in Mississippi. I don't want to paddle anymore! LOL. I still like to get back where there are no people and do it at a slow pace. I usually have to navigate over falling trees or drag over shallow sand/gravel bars etc. Recently I started bass fishing with a friend out of his bass boat on Toledo Bend. Looking to do more of that on my own. Not on big lakes, but in the Basin and Lake Henderson on flatwater. So I'd like to be able do a little fishing out of this boat with 3 people max in it. I would say I would do 70% just cruising/exploring with 2 people on board and 30% fishing with 2 adults and a 9 year old.

I recently went red fishing with a friend who had 200hp 4 stroke bay boat and I was amazed at how quiet it was while running across a bay. I would like that in the motor. Be able to hear each other talk and not ruin the peace and quiet out in the woods. I think something else I would like would be to have a large built in fuel tank. I want to do some multi day/overnight tent camping stuff where I travel a good distance. I don't want to have to carry spare fuel jugs.

Where do I start with boat size? Flat bottom/mod V? Motor size? Jon boat brand? At this moment, I'm thinking a 1648 or 1652 side console with maybe a 30 or 40hp Yamaha 4 stroke motor.

Anyone care to share their opinons and recommendations?

Thanks for your time.

I have owned a 1436 and I had a 25 on it. I know what your talking about. Was tippy and very unstable. I sold it and bought a 1648 and it was much better. I transferred tot eh pacific northwest so I sold that boat. Now than I am retired I just bought a 1652 roughneck and I love it. extremely stable with several people in it.

My current boat. First shakedown run after installing the new motor, console and controls.

Attachments

• 20160409_141547.jpg
    20160409_141547.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 581
gunz said:
I have owned a 1436 and I had a 25 on it. I know what your talking about. Was tippy and very unstable. I sold it and bought a 1648 and it was much better. I transferred tot eh pacific northwest so I sold that boat. Now than I am retired I just bought a 1652 roughneck and I love it. extremely stable with several people in it.

What are you powering the 1648 with?

If your doing multi day/camping trips w 2 or more people your're gonna want a larger boat, I would think you'd need a 17' or larger jon boat w room and capacity to carry lot's of weight like water,food,ice, tackle,chairs,tent, Coleman stove etc. etc. Fiberglass boats like the Carolina Skiffs are generally wider and rated to carry more weight/people in comfort and safety than similar length jons. If you're going to travel on some big bodies of water, wind and waves will make an heavily loaded boat dangerous. I personally would get the biggest boat I could afford, then you can bring all the gear to be comfortable while camping and if the weather get's bad on or off the water, w room for the passengers comfort too. 4 stroke motors sip gas and their range is generally farther than 2 strokes. I like the quiet, Idling I can barely hear mine from the bow and I like not smelling the oil smoke too.

Good advice for big, wide boats so far. I have a 1652 (50 hp 2 cycle) and love it.

I can understand your wish for a quiet 4 cycle. Remember, though, that 4 cycles weigh more and generally don't have the "punch" that a 2 cycle provides.

However, the operative phrase in your opening post was.

"I usually have to navigate over falling trees or drag over shallow sand/gravel bars etc."

That isn't going to happen with a 1652 or many of the other boats proposed.

As is always the case...one boat can't do all of the jobs. If you can swing it, I'd think you might get away with a pirogue for your backcountry use and a 1648 or 1652 jon for camping and Mom and the child.

Another small boat option would be a Solo-skiff. Around $2,000.00 plus trailer and a motor. One man boat but light enough to do the back-country job. I've never owned one, but they get pretty high marks. A Gheenoe ($1,000) (I've owned a couple) also fits in that category and would be cheaper. Some of them can handle the two-man fishing trips.

None of these light, small boats will handle your extended camping needs, IMHO. Though, I have seen pictures of 2 Florida guys going off for a couple of days in a 13 foot Gheenoe, loaded to the gunnels. Heck, your original 1436 jon will do the backcountry, one-man trip job as well as anything.

Always the boater's dilemma. Trying to get one boat to do two or more jobs. Sorry, I can't be more helpful. richg99

Really appreciate all the feedback fellas.

Yeah the 1436 was really light. I'm a big ol' bear, so I was able to drag it and push it pretty easily, once I kicked the motor up out the water.

For the overnight stuff, it is never more than 2 people. I've always been able to get all our gear in a 16ft canoe for camping. Never thought that would be a problem in a much bigger boat. When I tent camp, I don't bring a bunch of stuff like stoves etc...Think backpack style camping. Just what you can carry, plus maybe an ice chest in the boat. However, ya'll points are well taken about this aspect.

I guess what I'm really after is a "bigger canoe with a steering wheel and a motor" that will be a better fishing platform than a canoe.

How much more stable is the 1448 vs 1436? Can't be much difference in overall weight. Like I mentioned, the 1436 was pretty much the size I wanted for my purposes, it was just a bit unstable with wife and boy in it. The motor also contributed to that feeling. Maybe a foot wider and 15/20 hp motor would be the sweet spot?

Take a look at Gheenoes. Big canoe with steering and a motor fits it's description exactly. Harvey Gheen invented them after he fell out of a canoe...twice. You probably can't turn one over, but you could fall out of it. Check out CustomGheenoe in the Internet.

I think you'll be fine w a 1648, although i think your better off w a tiller it will open up your floor of you get a ncs model and in my opinion they're more maneuverable then side consoles. If your south alumacraft 1648 ncs like myself and a bunch of others on this site have will run you about 2400 without a trailer if you shop around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richg99 said:
Take a look at Gheenoes. Big canoe with steering and a motor fits it's description exactly. Harvey Gheen invented them after he fell out of a canoe...twice. You probably can't turn one over, but you could fall out of it. Check out CustomGheenoe in the Internet.

That is interesting. I'm going to research the Gheenoes further. Might have to go see one these in person.

I finally got a boat! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The 9 year old boy is now 16, so I got a 2005 Lake Sport 1860 center console . Has a Yamaha F90 on it. Put it in the water today and ran 54 miles. Motor is so quiet I can barely hear it in no wake zones. It's pretty perfect for my needs, hunting/fishing/cruising/exploring. Rated for 6 people, but 4 is realistic max. Going to add a larger fuel cell and start using it.

I have owned a 1436 and I had a 25 on it. I know what you’re ow talking about. Was tippy and very unstable. I sold it and bought a 1648 and it was much better. I transferred tot eh pacific northwest so I sold that boat. Now than I am retired I just bought a 1652 roughneck and I love it. extremely stable with several people in it.

I’ve had similar boats and experiences to CRB357 but, no 25hp on the 1436. A four stroke 25 is even a bit heavy on my 2023 Lowe 1448M. The bare hull 1448 has good stability with an almost new Suzuki 9.9/ 20hp (~109 lbs.) A bit sketchy with a DF25 Suzuki (~165 lbs) and unstable with a Merc F25 Jet which weighs in around 200 lbs. We see how it balances out after doing the decks and rigging this winter. I’m leaning towards the lightest outboard.

To Gunz, How would you compare the 1648 to the 1652 Roughneck. I’ve considered the Roughneck to replace my bigger boat but, I‘m think something like a 1660 or maybe the 1655 that Lowe offered a few years back.

I finally got a boat! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The 9 year old boy is now 16, so I got a 2005 Lake Sport 1860 center console . Has a Yamaha F90 on it. Put it in the water today and ran 54 miles. Motor is so quiet I can barely hear it in no wake zones. It's pretty perfect for my needs, hunting/fishing/cruising/exploring. Rated for 6 people, but 4 is realistic max. Going to add a larger fuel cell and start using it.
Congrats. You'll be glad you got that size boat with kids involved.

Rare 18 degree morning here in South La. People freak the hell out here over a little snow and ice, so everything is closed. Thought I would update this thread for future searchers. The 1860cc is working out great. So far I've used it for deer hunting in skinny backwaters of Atchafalaya Basin, cruising/exploring several different local rivers both big and small, and a ton of inshore redfishing in the coastal marshes, and several Bays. Vermilion, Calcasieu, Weeks, West Cove, etc. 3-4 seas is the biggest water I've been in. Prior to my purchase, 7 years of research etc LOL, I thought 18ft would be too big for what I wanted to do with it. Not once have I thought it was too big. In fact, just the opposite. I should have got a 20ft. Even for the freshwater backwater skinny stuff a 20ft would be perfect for my needs. Now my 1860 does the job for sure. It handled the 3-4ft waves pretty easily. I was very happy how comfortable and safe we were in that bay when the wind picked up that afternoon. I wouldn't want to do anything bigger 4ft though. Overall I've been very surprised and happy with how well this boat handles and rides. Very smooth for a tinny, and with the F90 on back it hauls arse pretty good. Top speed so far is 44.2 mph. With 2 people in it, it fishes pretty good, BUT...... a 20ft would be way better. I'm doing way more fishing than I planned, so that is something to keep in mind. If I was just out solo running rivers and exploring, fishing/hunting by myself, the 1860 is fine. The second you add another person w/their associated gear, that 1860cc gets small real quick. With 1 on the front deck and 1 on the rear deck, you have to be paying attention bc if both of you move in same direction we each have almost went overboard. My buddy is 250lb and I am 215lbs. So that is a factor for sure. Two normal sized people probably wouldn't have the same issues. Haven't had 3 or more in boat yet. I realize that the center console takes up a lot of space, but I love it. I can stand when I want, which is most of the time. I can see soooo much better. Boat is always balanced well. It hasn't been an issue yet for anything. 2 people casting away all day and not once has the console been hit or anything. The main issue with 1860 is deck size and stability for fishing. Both front and rear decks need to be just a little bit wider and deeper. I would prefer a little more stablility when fishing so I can not worry about being pitched out the boat at any moment due to a movement from the other person. It has happened 2 or 3 times every time we have been out. So it's coming. Haha. Luckily most of the time we are in shallow water. Water is cold this time of year so it will suck big time if and when one of us goes flying. Probably end the trip too bc cold and wet is a no go. I realize that could happen in a bigger boat too, but the chances are reduced a great deal. Anyhow I'm not making a move at this time, going to stick with my 1860cc for a few years. I do like how I can move it around easily in my driveway and that it fits in my garage, so that is a huge plus for the 1860cc. If I go bigger, I would definetly have to store it somewhere else. Probably once my son is out of college (~2029) and we sell our house and move, that is when I will sell the 1860 for a 20-22ft. Just going to enjoy what I have until then bc the 1860 gets the job done and it fits in my garage.

Last edited:

Latest posts