Adding a little storage to a bare-bones jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Right about the first of the year, I scrapped my old Lowe 1648 and bought a 1652 G3 VBW hull. Like many similar jons, it was wide open and bare-boned.

I've added decking; moved my old console over; and done some mods to both the boat and the trailer. Even with some added coolers, she still lacked "small-stuff" storage.

I deliberated about covering the side braces up. That sure would look fancy if I did. However, the more I thought about it, those side braces expose some valuable unused space!

I bought two pieces of 1/2 x 3-inch moulding at Lowes. The material was designed to be used as moulding around garage doors. It has a rubber "flap" that made a nice transition piece between the vertical side braces and the level decking.

I glued the moulding on both sides of my deck. That location formed small "pockets" between each brace. As you can see from the pictures, Plastic worm bags and scent bottles fit in there nicely. Incidentally, I glued them on, rather than rivet or screw them, since the area where they contacted the side braces was exactly where the side braces were bent. That bend, IMHO, was a major strength factor, and I didn't want to screw into the strongest part of the boat framing.

PL ??? construction glue from Lowes worked great. After taking the picture, I painted the white glue so that it blends in.
regards, richg99

Attachments

• IMG_20160410_120711.jpg
    IMG_20160410_120711.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,572
  • IMG_20160410_124545.jpg
    IMG_20160410_124545.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,565
Just FYI...I am considering adding a bungee ( or two ) up higher than the fixed moulding. That way, I could put some lure cases in, vertically. That would be an easy add-on if I go that route.

richg99

richg99 said:
Just FYI...I am considering adding a bungee ( or two ) up higher than the fixed moulding. That way, I could put some lure cases in, vertically. That would be an easy add-on if I go that route.

richg99

cargo net

I see through other posts you get a lot of your boat mod stuff at Lowes, inexpensive and functional ... gotta love it !

Man Rich ... you are one PROLIFIC DIY'r with a lot of simple and neat ideas =D> !

I can't wait to be retired ... if the new and future Liberal/progressive establishment with "means testing" lets me, that is ...

Rich? You are innovative and enterprising, and, it seems, having a lot fun making the new boat both personal and utilitarian. Nice work. =D>

However, I have this lingering fear that someday, I'm going to see a post of yours where you discuss installing a basement or storm cellar for it, just in case. :mrgreen:

I haven't been out yet this year; haven't even pulled the Winter cover off the 12' RB. I'm a bit envious.

Thanks, guys.

Yes, after I put my 40 years in,...saved my money.... I now have 6 Saturdays and One Sunday every week. I can putter with whatever boat occupies my time; fish; golf, and pretty much do whatever I want.

Kismet....I guess I didn't explain the water/ground base structure here. There are NO basements, that I know of, in Houston of anywhere close. Not only do we have sandy/gumbo soil, one of the concerns in this city is SUBSIDENCE. That means that, if I dug a basement, I think my house would simply sink further into the muck.

Most every property is built on a reinforced slab. I truly miss having a basement to put all of my junk in, and to have a little workshop. I had to add a workshop (20 x 15 ) behind my garage. It is too small! Ha Ha

regards, richg99

View from the back deck...

Attachments

• IMG_20151203_072322.jpg
    IMG_20151203_072322.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,452

Latest posts