New member here, just bought a new boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_cheapo

Reaction score
Hey guys, This is an awesome forum with tons of sweet projects. I recently Bought a 14' 1966 Richline v bottom, or semi V I'm not really sure. Came with a 75 mercury 110 (9.8) that starts easily and runs well, (Can be a little underwelming pushing the boat our gear and 2 guys up river) but I cant complain. Also came with a Minn Kota 40 Pound thrust bow mounted trolling motor.

I had a few questions, first off the boat leaks but not so badly that I'm convinced I should do anything about it. After 2-3 hours theres a little puddle in the middle of the floor I just take a car detailing sponge and soak it up and wring it out over the side. I do it again after another 2-3 hours. Is this pretty normal for older boats, Should I be concerned?

Number 2, The gas motor has no electric start, I'm assuming since it's not really meant to connect to a battery I cant use it to charge my trolling motor battery while underway? Or maybe there's something I'm missing.

Number 3, the Transom has some flex to it, wooden board in it is still sturdy but where the aluminum around it connects to the gunnels (I think, top of the sides) is kind of a weird connection with some loose bolts and screws that I cant do much about. There are bolts stuck through it I cant figure out a way to get a wrench to, theres a screw stuck under it where it should be over it in a place that I cant get out. I'm really worried to start drilling out anything or doing anything too serious since it holds water and the engine just fine right now, just has some flex where the aluminum isnt as tight as it could be with other parts.

I've attached some pictures that should kind of explain what I mean.

Attachments

• IMG_20160329_172034_611.jpg
    IMG_20160329_172034_611.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_20160329_172056_322.jpg
    IMG_20160329_172056_322.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_20160329_172342_222.jpg
    IMG_20160329_172342_222.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_20160329_172150_151 (1).jpg
    IMG_20160329_172150_151 (1).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 830
Small leak is normal for a old boat, you could try a little 3m5200 to seal it up if you find where it is leaking.

Motor will not charge a battery, very few motors have a charging ckt unless they are electric start.

What is with all the bungee cords?

Go fishing a few times and see how it is. Welcome to Tinboats

Tim

earl60446 said:
Small leak is normal for a old boat, you could try a little 3m5200 to seal it up if you find where it is leaking.

Motor will not charge a battery, very few motors have a charging ckt unless they are electric start.

What is with all the bungee cords?

Go fishing a few times and see how it is. Welcome to Tinboats

Tim

Thanks!

I've been fishing on it for about a month now, I really enjoy it nothing fancy but I sure can pull in some fish. The best local lake has a 10 hp limit your allowed to bring more than a 10 horse but if you do you have to run no wake speed everywhere. So it's pretty funny that I can be running wide open (Which by myself feels like 15 mph maybe) and look around at all these big bass boats who have to just idle around.

The bungee cords hold the engine in place while I drive, I just put it on the top trim hole and hold it over to the right side it didn't come with one of those supports for the lower end didnt seem like they had been using one. May be the reason why the transom is so flexible.

wmk0002 said:
el_cheapo said:
wmk0002 said:
Welcome! I like your username.

Thanks, I got a pretty good deal on it lol.

Did it come with those seats or did you put them on there? They look like Tempress Navi-Style which are $100+ each and great seats.
Yes it came with the seats, the brand is fish on! They are nice leather, fold securely and are very comfortable, there are also brackets on the pedestals to slide them left and right around 2 feet which is nice when I want to swivel sideways to put my feet on the side and fish a cove, then slide back over and run the tiller.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

WmK0002 got a ranger boat seat same style, locks down, perfect condition, ranger embroidered, green and tan. If your in the market. I'm north east though shipping could be stupid expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catch Release Repeat said:
WmK0002 got a ranger boat seat same style, locks down, perfect condition, ranger embroidered, green and tan. If your in the market. I'm north east though shipping could be stupid expensive.

I'm alright thanks though, I'll leave the center bench as a bench.

el_cheapo said:

I'm alright thanks though, I'll leave the center bench as a bench.

I'm sorry I didn't realize you were directing that to him

Thanks, but I don't need them. I just installed some of the Tempress navi-style seats in my bass boat which is why I brought it up. Sometimes getting things like good seats, trolling motors, and other accessories is what make buying a used jon boat a good deal. That stuff really adds up individually.

You could probably sell those seats no problem though. People are always hunting new seats as getting ones re-upholstered typically costs more than new seats lol.

wmk0002 said:

Thanks, but I don't need them. I just installed some of the Tempress navi-style seats in my bass boat which is why I brought it up. Sometimes getting things like good seats, trolling motors, and other accessories is what make buying a used jon boat a good deal. That stuff really adds up individually.

You could probably sell those seats no problem though. People are always hunting new seats as getting ones re-upholstered typically costs more than new seats lol.
I bought boat, motor, trolling motor, seats brackets and trailer for 530 I'm pretty pleased.

It looks like the PO added some band-aids to the transom. I'd pull it all apart, replace the transom wood and fix all the other issues.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
It looks like the PO added some band-aids to the transom. I'd pull it all apart, replace the transom wood and fix all the other issues.

That's something I'd like to do, i'm just not sure the best way to go about it and don't want to make matters worse. I read something about using stainless steel bolts and putting 3m 5200 all over them? Also I guess this is just plywood, do I want marine plywood, PT plywood?

Can I just drill through the old hardware to remove it and put bigger hardware on?

First never use Pressure Treated wood on an aluminum boat.
It has copper in it and will react badly with the aluminum.
Exterior grade plywood with a good sealer on it will last many many years.
Pull the motor and unbolt everything if you are careful drilling out the rivets you can use the same size to reassemble the boat. If you have to you can go up in size.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
First never use Pressure Treated wood on an aluminum boat.
It has copper in it and will react badly with the aluminum.
Exterior grade plywood with a good sealer on it will last many many years.
Pull the motor and unbolt everything if you are careful drilling out the rivets you can use the same size to reassemble the boat. If you have to you can go up in size.

Do you have a certain riveter you recommend, and any certain source for aluminum rivets?

Latest posts