Need input quick

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosier78

Reaction score
I have a boat I want to buy tomorrow but looking at pictures I am concerned about the integrity of the hull with it hanging over the trailer so far. Valid concerns? Thanks for any help.View attachment 1

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1460511255253.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1460511255253.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 527
  • uploadfromtaptalk1460511262324.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1460511262324.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 527
Depending on how long it's been hanging over with that motor it very well could have developed a hook.
Lower the tongue of the trailer to the ground put some kind of blocking under the transom and raise the tongue. This should lift the boat off the bunks so you can inspect.

It hasn't been pulled long at all with the motor on it. Motor was purchased last September and only pulled 15 miles twice according to the owner. I have a trailer sitting here at the house that will fit it but have to tow the boat close to 3 hours to get it home.

If you can put longer bunks on it for the trip home that would help or put the motor in the passenger seat.

If your tow vehicle can handle the extra tongue weight move the boat as far forward on the trailer as it will go.

Thanks for your help. I basically bought the motor and the boat and trailer was a bonus. So if the boat has a hook it's not a deal breaker just hoping for the best at this point I guess. It's a 2008 40 HP merc with all controls and tank. Paid 2,000 for boat trailer and motor.

If the tongue weight is too light the trailer will have a tendency to fish tail while under way. Move the winch stand as far forward as possible and if the bunks don't extend to the transom, extend them.

A straight edge, applied to the flat bottom, and extended out a foot or so, will show if there is a "hook" in the hull.

Some manufacturers actually put a hook in on purpose, but I don't think that any tinny's have them.

Run it and see if you like it as is.... before messing around with it.

richg99

I know several guys who have bought brand new aluminum boats, took it home and flipped it over on the ground and started beating the hull in with a sledge hammer, to add some hook.

Run it and see how ya like it.

Latest posts