protect transom from outboard clamps

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

answer3

Reaction score
I saw on several tin boats a piece of wood or other material on the inside and outside of the transom where we clamp the outboard and I am wondering what are the uses for this. Is it only to prevent cosmetic scratches on the aluminum/paint or does it also help reduce vibrations from the outboard? I am thinking maybe I should put one to protect the new paint.

I would imagine it would mainly be for cosmetics. However, if there is a product people use to help reduce vibrations I would like to hear about it.

My 1959 Crestliner had one from the factory when new
so we have always kept it. The original was the total width
of the outside transom. Over the years, we shortened it to
the "wedge" design which is a more refined look.
With a 3/4" inside transom the outside 3/4" piece is not only cool
and decorative, it brings the total thickness of the transom up to 1-1/2" thick
which makes the motors fit better. (in my opinion).
also, in the vast majority, if you decide to do that to your boat,
ample preservation of the wood and transom metal must be in the forethought.
Of course if you make the inside transom board 1-1/2" thick, which most
people laminate two pieces of plywood together for the full length of the transom,
the outside piece is not necessary. Or, you could put a piece of 1/8" aluminum
plate on the outside just for cosmetics. Again, putting a LOT of thought into
preservation before you marry everything together.
and IMHO, it in no way helps to dampen vibration.

Attachments

• boat is back 011.JPG
    boat is back 011.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,327
Maybe you could post a picture of what you have (or don't have) on the transom of your boat.
The aluminum on my transom measures 0.080-gauge and would hardly hold an outboard or a trolling motor without some sort of support. As you can see from the above pictures by Johnny, wood does serve a purpose

I know Cabelas sells a rubber pad that goes over the transom covering both the inside and outside.

Thanks for the feedback guys! My transom has wood inside and aluminum on top of it.
The aluminum of the transom took the shape of the outboard clamps on the inside of the boat. You don't see it too much because I jut put new paint, but it is more visible on the exterior on the transom where I didn't paint anything and you ser the damaged paint.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sorry the images is upside down... Uploaded from the phone.

I didn't measure the transom width but it is clearly more than 3/4", maybe 1 1/2"?
If not for limiting vibrations it would at least avoid damaging the aluminum and paint more that it is.

Can be several purposes.

To band-aid a rotten transom, that is one. Protect the finish. Use it for a spacer on a thin transom.

When I was tin boat shopping, I looked at all of the major brands and some of the cheaper ones, I noticed that the thickness of the transom was thinner than the more expensive boats. I've hung a few motors in my lifetime on different boats, but I'm finding that the thin transoms are harder to get the motor mounted to them without using a block between the clamps and the transom. Especially if you're not bolting the motor on; those thin transoms can cave in when the clamps are tightened down. The ones I deal with at work are to stout that it's entirely possible to just break the clamp bracket off of the motor by tightening the clamp with a wrench, but the transom will not dent or cave. One guy that worked for me used to crank them down with a crescent wrench and broke one. It amazed me that no damage was done to the transom.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I know Cabelas sells a rubber pad that goes over the transom covering both the inside and outside.

do you need to bolt it through the transom or add screws to keep it in place?

answer3 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

do you need to bolt it through the transom or add screws to keep it in place?
With the motor off I don't know if it is attached to the boat.

Latest posts