What To Buy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FisherFred2270

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing my first fishing boat, yet not sure what to buy. Iv been fishing my entire life and have fished off buddy's boats before. I'd prefer a 14 or 16 footer. I live in Grand Rapids Michigan and fish for everything from bluegill to salmon. So lots of lake fishing and lots of river fishing. As well as the occasional stroll out to Lake Michigan for salmon, perch, and white fish when the waves are small. Buddy of mine suggested a Deep V 14'. Wife did put me on a budget of 2k after looking for something a "little" bigger at Cabelas. :D. Should I be looking for a deep v or would something else fit my needs? Any suggestions?

welcome aboard Fred !!

you mentioned that you have been fishing your entire life on friends boats......
do you remember the PROS and CONS of those boats ????
what was stable with 3 or 4 people aboard and what was a nightmare ??
did they have pedestal seats or bench seats ?
were they flat bottom Jon boats or V hull ?

open water could be a death trap for an inexperienced boater
when (not IF, but WHEN) the unexpected rogue wave or gust
of wind from the wrong direction swamps your boat.

rule of thumb: the biggest and WIDEST boat within your budget.
more wider = more safer.
modified or semi V hull gives you more width.
Deep V will give you more rocking and rolling around
but a more comfortable ride in choppy water.

I am in Florida and got a really nice all aluminum MV bass boat
fully tricked out with pedestal seats, casting platforms, 50# trolling motor,
50hp outboard and galvanized trailer for $1200.00.

strictly my personal opinions on the above information.

oh, you said you have been fishing your entire life - - -
how many summers does that make ? (just curious as to your age)

2k should land you a nice used 40 or 50hp outboard. If your speaking of brand new then that's another ball game... Biggest for sure.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

I'm 25 so maybe not that many years compared to many lol. And yes that's what my wife had said when she seen them prices on them boats. The V's always cut through the waves better yet I really don't go out when it's windy other than that where I fish is be pretty "calm" meaning not really rough. Only time I really had waves was power boats flying through. Iv never been in a jon boat before. How do wider ones handle in waves?

Jon boats in waves....

Flat bottom will beat you to death, but will go way back up the streams and run as shallow as anything. The flat bottom will be the most stable to stand in and fish IMHO.

Deep V will cut the waves and have far less spray. Won't go as shallow, and will be tippy, compared to a similar sized flat bottom.

Hence, why the invented the Semi-V. It is some of the best features of each style. Yet, it won't be as good in a big wave scenario, nor will it go quite as shallow.

The widest boat that you can find will be the most stable IMHO.

I have a 1652 semi V and like it.

I can't see you getting much for $2,000.00 for a boat; motor and trailer around here. Maybe a flat bottomed 14/16 footer with a small older motor and rusty trailer. Every area is different. Good luck. richg99

Lake Michigan?

don't. just don't.

Even a 16 ft. craft is in danger in those waters, even when they look calm. I lived in Chicago for 40 years and vacationed up along the shoreline all the way up to Green Bay, WI. just don't.

A 14 ftr is most available, and will do most of what you describe; of course, you'll want the 16 ftr almost immediately. :)

Be safe, have fun.

Thanks for the input I'm really considering the semi V anyways they seem to be much easier to find around my area and 2k seems to be alright for a decent 14ft boat with around 80-90's John/merc motor with trailer. I'd like to get something like a 16 or even 18 but room is also an issue. I'm wanting to store inside my garage and it isn't long enough to even park my pickup inside. :| Definitely looking for a barn in the next house. And as for Lake Michigan it would be just out side the breakwaters but honestly I don't see it happening anyways cuz iv been out in much larger power boats and have gotten pretty beat up while sitting still.

Kismet said:
Lake Michigan?

don't. just don't.

Even a 16 ft. craft is in danger in those waters, even when they look calm. I lived in Chicago for 40 years and vacationed up along the shoreline all the way up to Green Bay, WI. just don't.

A 14 ftr is most available, and will do most of what you describe; of course, you'll want the 16 ftr almost immediately. :)

Be safe, have fun.

Kismet,

I hope you mean to say Lake MI is dangerous in a 16' jon boat with 21" sides. I grew up in northern MI and all we owned to fish out of the the big lake was big 16' starcrafts, wide boats with double windshields, plenty safe.

Ok, as someone who lives in a northern climate like you and fishes about the same species- no salt water- I think you need to work on that budget. A 14' row boat with a 15 horse motor and road worthy trailer is a tough nut to crack at anything under $3k. Anything can be fishable if you are extremely good at picking your days. Personally, for coldwater lakes and Michigan waters I wouldn't consider much anything other than a deep V hull boat. But start checking around your area and see what $2k get's you. Where I live there are kayaks going for more.

Here's an example of what is available in your area on CL: https://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/5545101811.html
It looks like they might take best offer. I can't tell how long she is though might be work an ask

Yea that is what I'm looking for. Just gotta wait another few weeks yet to get it. For a budget of 2k or so I'm more than capable of finding a good safe starter boat that I can use for years. I'm going to be seriously looking here very beginning of next month and will take all of this that I am learning and apply it to buying my first boat. Like I said before I'd been on many of friends boats but having one of my own, i want to buy something I'm going to be happy and most importantly be safe with for several years.

I just sold my tin boat $2000. because I thought it was only worth that.. was a 1989 alumnacraft 18' and 72" at top rail w/1988 88 spl Johnson I was ruff when I got it used 9 years and will miss it

Latest posts