New to the Boating World

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I acquired an Alumicraft 1236 with a Coleman 2.6 hp outboard for free. I'm a novice when it comes to boating as i spend the majority of my time on the water in a kayak. I'm not going to give up kayaking but i do want to get the boat in the water so i can take my daughter fishing with me. I only fish in saltwater in the bays.

Will that 2.6 motor be enough to move that boat with just my daughter and I? I've seen alot of info browsing on here about max hp, not much about minimum. I'm already used to packing light for kayak fishing. I'm about 250, my daughter is only 8 and skinny as a whip. If it makes a difference the boat and motor are almost brand new. Probably less than 10 hours on them.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Just run it and see how you like it. I won't get the boat up on plane, but, if you are used to paddling, the hull speed that you get will be plenty.

As you well know, being a kayak fisherman, that if you pick your launch spots carefully, you may not have to go more than a half-mile to find fish. It is a small boat. I wouldn't want to go blasting around with my 8-year-old daughter in a tiny craft like that, anyhow.

Let us know how your maiden fishing trip with her goes, please.

Enjoy! regards, richg99

p.s.I own three kayaks and a 1652 tinny. You and I are the same size. You can always buy bigger boat and a bigger motor. if you find that is what you want.

Thanks. I don't plan on taking the boat any farther than i yak. Besides all the best places i know i found on a yak. I was just curious if it would even move on a windy day. Guess i just gotta get it in the water.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I wound up getting a hold of an immaculate 2006 johnson 15. Took it out this afternoon for the first time. That little boat scoots with that 15 on it. It's a blast.

Now i gotta get rigged for fishing.

Haha. Crossed a small bay, about a mile and a half wide. We stopped at a couple of the islands in the bay so the kiddo could look for shells. I've paddled across that same strectch in my yak. I'll venture further on solo trips than i will with my daughter. She had a blast.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1461468126440.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1461468126440.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 375
Many people, myself included, have sold small boats. They moved on to bigger and better craft.

Then, a few years later, they look back on those small, fun, easy to load, easy to care for, low gasoline usage....little boats and wonder why they ever sold it!

Enjoy, richg99

I toyed with the idea of getting into boat ownership a few years ago but decided i had enough friends with boats to suite my needs lol. Also I've been content with kayaking over the years.

Getting this little boat i can see how easy it is to want to upgrade to bigger. The thing i do loke the most about it the lack of need for a boat ramp. I can drive this little guy down the same trails i can with my yak and launch it right out of the back of the truck.

We'll see. I might turn into a boat maniac.

Latest posts