Antique/Vintage engines on the Suwanee River

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was really cool to watch. Makes me want a place on the river so I can do that all the time...LOL.

I was really digging on that old wooden Raveau boat with the 90hp Yamadog and jack plate. I could not see it in the video running on the water. Is it in there?

Great video. Thanks again.

Rob

as usual Pap, awesome video.
you had the only RDS-20 of the group ?

Hope everyone notices that there were no "modified" boats there.
Mostly all original, no fishing decks, no live wells, no trolling motors,
no pink foam, most didn't have any flotation at all.....
This is how we used the boats "back in the day" - bare bones with tons of fun.

Ebug - I do not have a clip of the Raveau running. They are stunningly beautiful hulls and run just as nice as they look. The Raveau has been around a long time. My Dad used to run one at the Caribbean Club races in the keys every year and that was a very long time ago. Marcel Raveau was the designer and builder for a long time then gave the reins to a man named Bob Walwork to build them. Bob built several different sizes up to 20' or so. Sadly he has retired and built his last one and closed up the shop in the Sarasota area (I believe) about a month ago.
YouTube should have videos of them running. Bob's with the Merc 225 should be in there for sure. His runs around 80 or so which is super respectable for a very big boat.
If YouTube doesn't have any I will get with Bob and do one next time I see him. Would be a well deserved video.

Johnny - Yes..the only one there.
However stemming from that and the video there seems to be an interest in getting these "Super Quiet" engines out of hibernation and back on the water.
Darn it....what was once a great deal on engines may not be so great once the word's out! Seems like a bunch of folks own an RDS-20 or at least one of the later ones.

I took a few personal minutes today away from my domestic chores
to tinker with my RDS-20 which has a bad foot. Found out
that the lower unit gear case of the RDS-22 will fit the 20 just fine !!
(which I had already refurbished with all new soft goods).
So now that the Super Quiets might be getting a second look,
I guess this is the time to start parting out the old RDS-22 and 24
that I have just taking up space. I doubt very seriously if I will ever
get around to getting them running.
Hopefully by next year's Suwanee Run, I will have at least one show worthy
craft to run with the pack !!!

Jethro - The Fastwin (18hp) series of engines are a blast to run. They are powerful, fast, and reliable as an anvil. The 1957 Johnson version is one that I grew up with. I purchased an identical engine back in the late 80's/early 90's that is close to being cosmetically perfect. Love to run that engine!
Never run it on less than 24:1 !

Here's a shot of mine on a 15'6" Gheenoe Classic. Pushed it right at 27mph.

And the same engine on an Alumacraft model R, again in the Suwanee River. YouTube video you may like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvKGt5jepVo

Latest posts