9' Jon - Duratech 93

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrot Rope

Reaction score
Hi all, just joined this site bc I just picked up my first tin boat for some solo pond fishing.

It's a Duratech 93 made sometime btw the 1950s and 1960s

It measures 8'10" long, 45" beam, 35" bottom and weighs just under 50 lbs.

I plan on using a small trolling motor on ponds and smaller lakes

I know that I want to put some flooring down as well as 1 swivel seat. Since I'm totally new to this, can you guys give me some suggestions for what is feasible to do with a boat that size?

Seat placement, battery/gear placement, etc. would be greatly appreciated as well.

Some pics
2rpp3fa.jpg

122zsc4.jpg

125gheh.jpg

Welcome!
I would check it for leaks, replace the transom wood (don't use treated), and mount a seat on the back bench. Do you have a trailer or do you plan on using the bed of a pickup? If you don't have a trailer I would keep it as light as possible. The floor looks pretty flat so I wouldn't deck it. With the seat in the rear I would use a transom mount trolling motor. It should make a good pond boat.

gillhunter said:
Welcome!
I would check it for leaks, replace the transom wood (don't use treated), and mount a seat on the back bench. Do you have a trailer or do you plan on using the bed of a pickup? If you don't have a trailer I would keep it as light as possible. The floor looks pretty flat so I wouldn't deck it. With the seat in the rear I would use a transom mount trolling motor. It should make a good pond boat.

Hi!

Did the leak check in my little swimming pool, 2 little ones above the water line which already had prev JB weld on it and no water coming thru when submerged; and then one on the bottom foor, where water does come through. My quick research here leads me to believe that i should go the 5200 route instead of JB weld for the floor?

Reason I got such a small/light boat was bc of my need to car top it, as the water i most frequent is within a state park that is car top only.

As far as the floor, it is def flat enough, however I'm concerned about the crunching and crinkling that I think would happen with me standing and walking around, would that be an issue?

What about flotation? I've gathered that many guys will use foam under the seats or floor in case of swamping....is that necessary for such a small/light boat? I was considering using those canoe sponsons for swamping.

Will putting the swivel seat on the rear bench versus the middle bench make it too stern heavy? I guess I'll have to tinker with figuring the balance/weight distribution of it. Also considering completely removing the middle bench and moving the rear bench up one "notch"

thanks for you input!

Is the leak in the bottom from a crack or a loose rivet? If it's a rivet you can re-buck it. I'm not a big fan of JB, so I would use 5200 on a small leak. If it was mine I would get a deep cycle battery (with a handle) and a 40 to 55 lb trolling motor and fish the boat a few times before doing anything to it. I don't know how much standing or walking around in a boat that size I would be doing. You can put foam under the seats.

Since you are car topping I would keep the boat as light as possible and as easy to "assemble" and "disassemble" as possible. One of the clamp-on fish finders would be a great accessory.

Good advice so far. I wouldn't spend another $$ until I found and fixed the leak on the bottom.

Once that is taken care of (yes, 5200 may do the trick if it is a dribble...re-bucking the rivet(s) is the best way, if it is a rivet(s) problem..)

Go fishing. Don't start changing much until you get some hours under your belt. I can't tell you how many things I changed over the years, only to have to remove and start again because I found that my initial "ideas" were not the real things that the boat needed.

After two or three trips, you'll know what is necessary. Less is more, in most cases.

regards, richg99

Carrot Rope said:
As far as the floor, it is def flat enough, however I'm concerned about the crunching and crinkling that I think would happen with me standing and walking around, would that be an issue?

Maybe cut and glue some of the interlocking foam squares to fit the floor to reduce the noise and be a little more comfortable on your feet. $10 at Harbor Freight before the 20% coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

Can you post the photos again? I had one of these in the early 1990's and wish I never sold it!

Latest posts