Added some removable weights for my boat cover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Since I keep my tinny outside here in TN for the Summer...I think it best that I cover it. But, I fish a four or five days during most weeks while we are here.

I've never covered my boat often before. The 1996 Lowe was already sun bleached, and saving its skin wasn't worth much. My new 1652 G3, however, has a camo finish and it is new. I put 1/4 exterior plywood in as the floor/deck (covered with vinyl) and just want everything to last.

I have a fairly light-weight cover. It's negative is that it blows off in the slightest of breezes. The last time I tried using it, I tied some milk bottles on to act as temporary hold-downs.

Today's modification at least looks a bit more professional. I had some 1 1/4 thin wall PVC left over from a rod-holder project. Adding a cap; a male threaded adapter, and a threaded cap produced a water-tight weight. I added sand; a screw eye, and when tightened up, the weights look OK and work well.

Some curtain hooks allow me to easily remove the weights on one side of the boat. That way, I can throw the cover on the ground and easily go fishing. When i return, I throw the cover back over the boat and re-attach the missing weights. The hooks use already-present sewn-on strap attachment points on the cover.

Pretty quick and easy. regards, richg99

p.s. these weights are only used when the boat is in its boat yard home. They are never attached when the boat is moving anyplace at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20160422_102246.jpg
    IMG_20160422_102246.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 939
  • IMG_20160422_102241.jpg
    IMG_20160422_102241.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 939
Rich, how do they behave in strong winds? We've had some days-long winds come through here this year that have started to take the shingles, or parts of them, off the shed.

I'd think your hull, or trailer would get a beating. The simplicity of it seems quite ingenious, though.

Latest posts