Pedestal base mount

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin t

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions or advice on mounting a pedestal base on the rear of my 16' Lund WS-16 with a wood floor. I do not want to tear up floor boarding to mount from underneath but am concerned with strength with backing from underneath. Not sure if lag screws would hold or just rip out over time. /any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated very much.

What about one of these?........

https://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/boat-seats/pedestals-bases%7C/pc/104794380/c/104705280/sc/104492880/cabela-s-quad-stand-pedestal/735113.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FPedestals-Bases%2F104492880.uts%3FWT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26rid%3D20%26WT.mc_id%3DGOOGLE%257Cboa_Boat%252BSeats_Pedestals%252BBases%257CUSA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43700005269454822%26gclid%3DCI2owKDzpMwCFdcZgQodsRMA3w%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds

PHOTOS will help the gallery help you !

how thick is the floor ?
is it painted or carpeted ?
how much room is under the wood floor for a typical pedestal mount ?

in my world, I would cut out a 12" circle of the carpet,
covering, or whatever so you can get down to bare wood.
grind off all paint, epoxy, glue, etc down to bare solid wood.
cut a new piece of 3/4" exterior grade plywood to fit the circle.
Base.jpg
Drill mounting holes for the pedestal base as well as holes through the deck to accept long bolts.
On the back side of the disk, rough it up with 40 grit sandpaper.
On the top side of the disk, bevel the edge to your liking and preserve it accordingly.
apply stainless fasteners
fastener.jpg
in the appropriate position. (once installed, impossible to adjust).
with the pedestal base fastened to the 12" new wood the way you want it,
glue the new wood disk to the deck. (once installed, impossible to adjust)
Personally, I would use "resorcinol" glue as it is 100% waterproof.
But, there are many good exterior glues, epoxies and adhesives on the market.
After the pedestal base is fastened tightly to the disk with 1-1/2" bolts,
coat the protruding ends with grease or candle wax and masking tape so the bolts can
be removed later. (or, they may become permanently embedded in the adhesive).
Once the disk is glued into place, THEN, you can use some stainless wood screws (not lags)
to help hold it in place as well as place some weight on the seat and let it sit overnight.
Read - Understand - and Follow the instructions on the label of any product you may use.

In my world, that is what I would do.

Thanks for the advice. It is stock Lund carpeted plywood flooring that I am guessing is either 3/4" or 7/8". It is all one piece which is why I don't want to take it up and go from underneath. I don't think there is a whole lot of room underneath from bottom of plywood to hull. It's pretty tight where I want to go with it. I'll take some pics later today. Again, great suggestion...thanks a bunch.

Johnny's advice is spot on.

If, however, you decide to chance it with just re-mounting the original base ...then at least turn the base a 1/5 turn or so. That will expose new wood under where the threads will penetrate.

Personally, I'd follow Johnny's advice and do it right.

Or, perhaps you can add an access plate nearby, so that you could get some T-nuts in...again, using new wood. You may find that the area is stuffed solidly with foam. That will complicate things a lot. richg99

31-PhgyEwmL._SX425_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/Marine-Sure-Seal-Plate-Black-6-Inch/dp/B0000AY0EF?ie=UTF8&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-def00-other-smile-us000-pcomp&ref_=bit_abba_def_cr_us_title&tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&tagbase=abba

Latest posts