Jon boat reinforcement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boz Mon

Reaction score
Finally seem to have my jet Jon dialed in. Now the issue is the water hitting the front of the hull is starting to bend the aluminum and even pull out some rivets. Does anyone have a good method to reinforce the hull so it can better withstand the beating it's taking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most obvious solution I think would be reinforcement plates larger than the area of contact/damage to dissipate point forces over greater area. Obviously on the inside of the hull is dependent on accessibility and on the outside would likely affect how the boat moves through the water. Just some input since you haven't gotten any yet

I actually came up with a plan A. Take some angle iron and put it on the seam inside the boat. Attach with button head bolts and cover it with resin to make sure they don't come out. If that doesn't work idk what plan B will entail

I don't know that I am envisioning the situation accurately, but my initial reaction to that plan is that it will bow laterally between the ribs, resulting in a concave hull. Best plan might be reinforcement sheets with horizontal angle behind that to prevent this caving

156e4bf4f65df79ebac275c6e44e0a56.jpg

Here's what we did first. To prevent leaks, i will bury this in some cloth and epoxy resin. I will probably put another piece of something across the middle to add extra strength.

Well there you go. I was expecting ripples and dents laterally across the bottom, but it looks like you meant more of a hooking of the whole hull. I also see now what you meant by putting angle in the seams. For some reason I thought you meant in the channels on the floor. If the whole boat is hooking, I'd expect vertical wrinkles in the gunwale. Maybe reinforcement plates down the sides could help too in that case. You said you were going to use angle iron, but the picture looks more like aluminum to me. Whatever the case, keep in mind the lesser strength of aluminum and that iron will rust. That applies to the fasteners as well, but I'm sure you probably already considered that. Try it out and see what happens!

Latest posts