Carpet Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danaelk

Reaction score
Hello,

Have a question regarding carpet for my Jon boat seats and deck:

- Is it best to cut out the plywood, waterproof then carpet before installing?
- If so, does the carpet wraparound the edge of the plywood OK and stay put?
- I'm assuming you just cut the plywood a little shy to leave room for the carpet wrap?

maybe I'm imagining the carpet a lot thicker and less flexible than it really is.

Thanks for your responses.

I'm not an expert, but yes to all.

I just finished that process exactly about two weeks ago and it came out pretty good. First I measured, then cut, then made sure everything fits in place.

Next I moved to sealing all the wood, then measuring the size of carpet I would need per piece of wood, and finally gluing it down with exterior adhesive. I stapled the carpet down on the board on one side and pulled really tight on the other and then stapled down again after gluing. The corners were pretty easy just had to cut the carpet at an angle and then staple it.

After that I screwed it down to the frame I built for the floor and my bench seats just attached to brackets.

I'm sure other guys can give you more detailed directions with materials, but for a first timer that's how I went about it and it came out pretty good I think.

Cut the plywood to size. Use regular plywood, not treated. Compensate 1/8" around all edges for carpet. If you have a hatch lid cut out, make the hatch lid 1/2" smaller in each direction to account for carpet around the decking and the lid.
Seal the plywood with 2 or 3 coats of spar urethane (or other special formulas that are recommended on here).
When carpeting, it easily wraps around the edges and you staple it on the back. Use an exterior grade carpet glue on the top side - this stuff has the consistency and color of peanut butter.
After carpeting, you can screw the carpeted decks down onto your boat.

Latest posts