Hull pitting underneath bunks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlong

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I know this topic has been discussed earlier, but I wanted to see if anyone had any current suggestions. I run my Alumacraft on the saltwater flats frequently and take the steps to prevent corrosion, or so I thought. This week, after just now reading a warning about carpeted bunk use in saltwater, I jacked my boat up and sure enough, I had pitting. It is only where the carpeted bunk contacts the hull, including a side rail. Most of the corrosion is generally surface, one pinhole and one that I can stick the tip of a knife into. Thankfully none are through the hull.

From what I've read so far, the repair can either be epoxy or welding. However, i'm not clear on the prep for the pitting that is below the surface. I also have some concerns that welding could create other problems too.

I've also read many suggestions on the bunk boards. most leaning towards the boat slick type application. I would really like to get away from PT wood and carpet altogether. Any experience in this would be very helpful.

My response to the pitting issue may not be up to standard according to some. However, if it's just some small pitting as you say, I'd sand it down and put some JB weld on there, sand it smooth and call it good.

I did put some pvc boards on my bunks, without carpet, I like it a lot, easy to load and launch. Pics are in my lowe link below.

When I bought my boat the previous owner put PT bunks on with carpet. I didn't realize it until I saw the pitting. Cleaned up the pits and applied JB Weld. New carpeted Fir bunks and no more problems. I also run salt flats.

Thanks for the suggestions. I sanded/wire brushed the areas . Turns out the damage was not deep so I used marine job weld. Replaced the bunks with non PT wood and bunk slicks.

Latest posts