Paint suggestion.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaycee159

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking on some input. Repainting the boat 1448 not sure what to use? I've primed the boat with a self etching primer. Any help would be awesome. Thanks
eac2dbd4ffaa5bd0c712e75193443740.jpg
f31b5cea8132238303134ad16cb56bb6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to da Pond !!

what will be the primary use of your boat ??
how do you want it to look after painting?
all pretty and show worthy or a duck boat that gets beat up.
Paint is just another layer of protection to help prevent
corrosion of the metals. It is up to the user of how it looks cosmetically.
a LOT of boats are NEVER painted - especially the 1950s models.

Since you already have it primed - any brand of good exterior latex house paint
will be just fine. It flexes more with the aluminum expansion/contraction.
hard enamels tend to be more unforgiving with movement but is more durable.

soooooooo many personal preferences on this subject !!! :popcorn: just watch the show.

oh yea, good job on your boat so far !! looks great.

Johnny said:
Welcome to da Pond !!

what will be the primary use of your boat ??
how do you want it to look after painting?
all pretty and show worthy or a duck boat that gets beat up.
Paint is just another layer of protection to help prevent
corrosion of the metals. It is up to the user of how it looks cosmetically.
a LOT of boats are NEVER painted - especially the 1950s models.

Since you already have it primed - any brand of good exterior latex house paint
will be just fine. It flexes more with the aluminum expansion/contraction.
hard enamels tend to be more unforgiving with movement but is more durable.

soooooooo many personal preferences on this subject !!! :popcorn: just watch the show.

yea it's just going to be a typical duck boat, beating around the marsh, I don't need anything fancy. Just want some paint that'll hold up to the sun salt and water.. Thanks for the info!

Are you rolling or spraying? I've found good results with implement paint oil enamel with their suggested hardener... Either a nice foam roller that will give a smooth finish more so than a reg roller and use ?petrol/penetrol? It can be bought from Home Depot and smooths it out even more.. Or just use hardener and thinner of your choice and spray ..

Valspar 35 year "Weather Beater" house paint.

if it is good enough for a fine home, it is good enough for a boat.
https://www.valsparpaint.com/en/fin...int/index.html#/products?lowes=exterior-paint

Read, Understand and Follow the instructions on the label.
Personally, I shy away from paint "and primer" in the same can.
IMO, that is for old ladies painting their bathroom.

There is nothing wrong with ACE, Tractor Supply, or other name brand paints.

I was wanting to spray using a hvlp sprayer.

I used tractor paint from tractor supply.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

I just finished painting mine with Majic Tractor paint. I used an HPLV gun and it turned out hard as a rock - really surprisingly hard. Make sure you add the catalyst hardener.

It is a really durable paint. I bought a gallon of primer and MF red majic tractor paint. After coating the tin twice with each there is still a third of the primer left and half of the red left. I did use the catalyst due to reviews I've read. I rolled the paint on with a foam roller. It
d57ca79b7ebd1f05706bdb39693c4114.jpg

Sent from the dust in front of you!

I used Duralux dead grass green marine paint, rolled it on and am happy with the results.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 1,250
Parkers Duck Boat paint has done really well on my boat for the past 3 years. My boat gets used all year for waterfowl in the fall/winter and fishing in the spring/summer. The Parkers has held up really well to the abuse my boat gets throughout the year. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I also applied it using a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer. Just thin it per the directions and it goes on great. IIRC I used about 1-1/2 gallons to do my 1648MV. And FWIW the sand tan color blends in PERFECT with the river islands we hunt once the green is gone in the fall.

IMG_20140308_103919_zpsketcbwn3.jpg

BigTerp said:
Parkers Duck Boat paint has done really well on my boat for the past 3 years. My boat gets used all year for waterfowl in the fall/winter and fishing in the spring/summer. The Parkers has held up really well to the abuse my boat gets throughout the year. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. I also applied it using a cheap Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer. Just thin it per the directions and it goes on great. IIRC I used about 1-1/2 gallons to do my 1648MV. And FWIW the sand tan color blends in PERFECT with the river islands we hunt once the green is gone in the fall.

IMG_20140308_103919_zpsketcbwn3.jpg
Looks good thanks for the info!

Ended up just going with the primer color.. I liked it more than what I was able to find.. Also putting on an epoxy based slick bottom.
547199884d670334c983b41b2fbfdbb4.jpg

Looking good!
I don't know if the primer will hold up that well by itself, it's a primer!!!! Maybe someone else on here will know that for sure, but primers are usually meant to have a topcoat applied over them.

Unless I just had crappy primer you're going to have to repaint. The green paint I bought wasn't what I wanted but I loved the color of the primer so I went with that. Couple weeks later and it was faded to light gray. Had to repaint and went with Aluminum Boat Green by Duralux. Love it.

O.B. is correct "primers are usually meant to have a topcoat applied over them".

painting is a journey - learning as you go - satisfying the internal desire to make things
either prettier or to preserve them to last longer than it was intended.

Educating yourself in a particular medium prior to starting a project
can save you countless hours of disappointment of doing it over again
should it go South or you are not satisfied with the results.
I have been a painter of one thing or another for over 40 years. Back when
the "good paints" contained lead and other harmful ingredients.
The products I recommended years ago for wood, glass, steel or aluminum does not
apply today as the manufacturers have changed their formulas to adhere
to the EPAs requirements. So, it is extremely important to READ, UNDERSTAND and
FOLLOW the instructions on the label of the products you use BEFORE painting your project.
I don't necessarily agree with a "crappy primer". I would, however, question
the prep and application methods applied. As well as the temperature, humidity,
amount of drying time of the primer prior to applying the top coat.
Very good results can be achieved with the brush, roller, HVLP, etc. with some practice.
If you are unsure of anything, practice on a piece of similar material prior to
painting your boat. If your sample turns out ratty, so will your boat - - - - -

jus my Dos Centavos

Well I've went to far, if the primer fades it fades... I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it.. Thinking on clear coating, not sure if that would help or not..
2f4242ed869353bd6e3ff0b1773176be.jpg

What primer did you use? I used Rustoleum self-etching primer on a few spots on my boat without painting over and it's held up fine.

I think you'll be fine either way. If that primer fades a bit it really shouldn't matter for a duck boat. Unless it fades to white or something. With your camo stenciling and hydroturf I think you've broken up the boat outline well enough that it will hunt good. I would stay away from a clear coat. It will probably give everything some shine, which you obviously don't want in a duck boat. They do make flat clear coat, which I've used when repainting decoys. It did OK, but I say it still had just a bit of shine to it which is was OK for the decoys but on a larger area like your boat I'd imagine it would be amplified.

Latest posts