mats vs floors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iam2sam

Reaction score
I do not intend to install floors in my 1973 Sea Nymph Coho 16 (for one reason, if a seam begins to leak, I want to be aware of it immediately, not after water has filled the area under the floor). However, I do want to provide adequate footing, and keep mishandled anchors and other equipment from damaging the hull. I am looking a some flexible, UV-resistant, modular flooring products designed to provide drainage, such as:
Free-flow
https://www.bigfloors.com/shop/free-flow/
-or
DuraGrid
https://www.bigfloors.com/shop/deck-tile-2/
I've also seen a similar product named Dri-Deck, but it seems pricier without any obvious advantages in exchange. It would cost me slightly more than $200 for either of the first two products. Anyone installed a similar product in a tin boat, or have thoughts on the matter? Thanks.

Is your floor COMPLETELY flat and smooth?

The only reason I ask is that I wonder how flexible these items may be if they have to span a gap of 5 or 6 inches. Would they flex in the middle enough to raise up on the edges and become a hazard or maybe come loose from each other? They appear to be made to lay on a flat area to resurface that area.

Just wondering.

While I share your desire to see under your flooring...the issue that I find with loose pads is that they might blow out at 70 mph.

While driving down an expressway one evening, I saw a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 inch steel lift up and blow out of a truck. That was enough of a warning for me to be certain that everything is tied down well.

richg99

My floor is essentially flat from the first full bench seat to the stern. Accorging to the vendor, the Free-Flow product can accommodate a radius curve (to a reasonable extent). The tiles lock together. If that lock is very secure it should reduce concerns about the material becoming dislodged while towing. If necessary, my plan B could be to tie the floor together with cable ties, and plan C possibly to the bench seat supports and/or reinforcing ribs (the latter might require some small self tapping screws in the ribs, which I'd prefere to avoid). That restaurant matting is somewhat lesss expensive, I'll look into it. I dohave some concerns about UV resistance and ability to channel water underneath. Thanks for the replies.

richg99 said:
While driving down an expressway one evening, I saw a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 inch steel lift up and blow out of a truck.
richg99
Geez! That could behead somebody!

"that could behead someone"..

Yep, it was stacked on a high truck, apparently not tied down. It spun a couple of times, and I knew it was metal because when it hit the pavement, sparks flew everywhere. I called 911 but who knows if they ever found the truck or even the sheet of metal until the next day.

Gulp!!!! richg99

Update: I intend to go with the Free Flow mats. I'm guessing that no one here has had any experience with these?

iam2sam said:
Update: I intend to go with the Free Flow mats. I'm guessing that no one here has had any experience with these?

Please post how these work out for you. I'd like to do something similar. I was wondering how those horse stall mats that Tractor Supply sells would work out?

Don

The bulk of my boating experience has been in small sailboats and canoes (powered and unpowered). So I have become accustomed to making sure that anything I carry that cannot get wet is in a dedicated waterproof container or locker of some kind :) The mats that I am considering are designed for applications such as pools and locker room showers, and are not only raised slightly, but provide for water flow underneath for draining purposes. So an item on the mat shouldn't get completely wet unless the water level in the boat is higher than the top of the mat. In which case I probably have a bigger problem to contend with than wet equipment.

iam2sam said:
The bulk of my boating experience has been in small sailboats and canoes (powered and unpowered). So I have become accustomed to making sure that anything I carry that cannot get wet is in a dedicated waterproof container or locker of some kind :) The mats that I am considering are designed for applications such as pools and locker room showers, and are not only raised slightly, but provide for water flow underneath for draining purposes. So an item on the mat shouldn't get completely wet unless the water level in the boat is higher than the top of the mat. In which case I probably have a bigger problem to contend with than wet equipment.

Cool. Sounds like you've got a handle on things. :)

I just ordered these: https://www.bigfloors.com/shop/free-flow/
I'll let you know how they work out when I splash next month. I'll pop these out when not in use, and hang them to dry out in the garage.

uncndl1 said:
I just ordered these: https://www.bigfloors.com/shop/free-flow/
I'll let you know how they work out when I splash next month. I'll pop these out when not in use, and hang them to dry out in the garage.

I installed a perforated aluminum floor and love it but this product looks pretty good. Take some pics when you have it done and tell us what you think.

If you go to the end of my refurbishing project you can see the floor pictures:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39891
They were very easy to install. I just ordered some more to finish off the forward floor.
Best regards.

Latest posts