Foam requirements and bench seat mod..NEWBIE dont hurt me!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodscavenger

Reaction score
First post, many days of lurking. I feel like a bottom feeding catfish.

I bought my first small boat after having owned several I/O and v-drive ski boats.

It appears to be a 1436 Lowe aluminum Jon boat. My two youngest have great plans. I am currently rehabbing a redneck DIY trailer. Taking off rollers and installing bunks and a better bow mount holder.

the boat is pretty standard. DIY camo paint, two benches and seems to be in pretty good shape. I am searching for a trolling motor to go with the 1972 25hp Johnson that appears to run. I have yet to take it into the water.

Basic plans include flooring with foam underneath. A small deck up front with storage underneath.

The benches have me stumped. I know they have flotation foam as a safety precaution. Some of my mods may entail removing much of the foam. My basic question comes down to this.......

??In a 1436 boat with a 25hp outboard will the underseat foam actually keep me from scuttling the boat to the bottom or is it only a precaution with a non-motorized version? If the addition of the motor means I will go to the bottom with or without the foam then I will take out the foam and modify the benches.

It covers the weight capacity of the boat. It's not worth the gamble. Whatever you take out add back somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First :WELCOME: JMHO the more foam the better - keep as much as you can and add as much as you can when adding your mods.

Latest posts