1st jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oilfieldfisher

Reaction score
Hello all new here. I just got my first jon boat. The title shows 1965 sear. It's 14' come with a 1957 evinrude 5hp. I'm looking for tips. I plan on using this boat on lakes to fish on. I made sure it floats. The motor runs, I'm looking for anything I should check out before I take it on the lake.

Attachments

• 20160429_204731.jpg
    20160429_204731.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 485
I have 2 choices 14' and 16' both I like to use. Actually I already have the first one 14'.

Congrats on the new to you boat.

Agree with above, Life jackets and oars. Stay close to the ramp the first couple of times and check to make sure it's not taking on water.

Jim

Welcome aboard.

New boat or old boat...first time out......always head out UP wind and/or UP current. That way, if troubles arise, you can drift back to the dock. Don't go very far; get to know your boat and enjoy yourself. Bring a paddle.... richg99

Thank you to all. I've got to get the life jackets, I think I've got the rest of the safety stuff. I'm in need of a battery charger, any recommendations?

My rule for new boaters is never go past the point that you can swim !!!
Until you are familiar with the water, your boat and how other boaters
affect your boat when they buzz past you.

be safe - have fun

oh yeah, '57 & '58 were good years for the OMC motors !!!!!!!!!!!
not that you would want to get into restoring the motor, but,
if you ever needed any advice or parts for it, stroll over to https://www.aomci.org/
Lots of good stuff there on old motors.

Latest posts