12 foot jon boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roywayne

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a 12 foot Jon project. I'm hoping to find a 42-48 inch wide riveted Jon. The widest I've been able to find is a 36". Anyone know of a mfg that builds and sells what I'm looking for? A 1242 would be ideal for what I want to do. Thanks

Good idea! I also like job boat as well. And I have my one already. When I go for fishing take this one always with me. hehe

There are a few out there but I imagine they are a bit rare to find. I believe that most of the wider models were special order so they aren't as likely to come up for sale also.

Weldcraft. Drnip has a great conversion

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Read too much about Weldbilt on this forum to ever sink my $$$ into one...

Alweld makes a 1442 mod-v jon
https://www.alweld.com/#!small-jons/t8asm

Craig from The Rescue Step here. First time posting. Love this forum!

I just went through my entire list of aluminum boat manufacturers to see what I could find.

onethewater102 is right on target, Alweld makes a 42" bottom model. (see attached info sheet)

The only other I could find is Xtreme boats. They also have a 1242 model. (see attached info sheet)

Here's the weblink: https://www.xtremeboats.com/boats/river_skiff.htm

Couldn't find any models wider than 42".

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Alweld Jons List.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Xtreme RiverSkiff_2015.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
As mentioned earlier, Alweld makes a lot of different sizes and they have a good reputation on here.

Unfortunately Alweld and RiverSkiffs aren't riveted...so to be welded they need to use a heavier gauge material & end up being really heavy as 12' boats go.

Any reason why you want a 12'? Tracker makes a 1542 with a livewell that is lighter than the 1242 welded hulls...larger boat + lighter total weight = MUCH shallower draft so if getting into tight spaces is your motive you'd be better off with the 1542...not to mention its probably half the price too...

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3832 $1,099

I intend to use the boat on some electric only lakes in my area and in some back water spots on the larger impoundments in my area(NE AL). The boat would need to be light enough to pull behind a travel trailer and I'd like to be able to pull it with my Jeep to get into those back water spots. The lenght is not as important as the width so a 1542 would work. I looked at Lowe 1440 on my way home from work this evening. It was sitting next to a 1236 and I really liked the extra length, a couple inches wider would be nice though. The dealer was already closed so I couldn't get a price but will check with them next week. I'll also go look at the tracker.
Thanks for the info

Saw a 1248 locally but it was welded. Weldbilt brand, but it's 240 lbs hull weight. They are heavy. I personally don't like them but they are cheap, and cheap for a reason.

Might be challenging to find especially considering that many people skip the riveted boats and prefer welded, which is obviously backwards of what you're interested in.

After looking at the 1440 Lowe sitting beside the 1236 yesterday I think I'd prefer a little longer boat. I think it'll be much easier to find a d ecent used one at a reasonable price (I hope)

None of the boats described are too heavy for your trailer setup - the welded ones are just too heavy to be carried to the water if that was a concern. If you have trailer access everywhere definitely go with the 1542 - it will sit shallower in the water than the rest and give you the most room.

You won't find much difference between the 12' jon and the 14' semi-v in trailering, unless you load up the 14' boat with heavy motor, thick decking, etc.

And virtually everyone wants two more feet of boat eventually.

Best wishes.

I got a price on the 1440 Lowe this morning. It was $1595 plus tax and destination so the 1542 tracker is at least $500 more attractive. It also comes in around $300 less than the 1542 alumacraft at academy. The alumacraft actually measures 40" wide and neither it nor the Lowe have a livewell not that I really need one(catch and release) unless I can find tinboat guys around here that are interested in tournaments. I live about 5 minute from lake guntersville and going with a bigge r boat would make a lot more sense safety wise. There's a lot of places on gville that I could access with a tin that I can't with my bass boat. I already have 40lb foot control Minn kota that I plan to use and with a bigger boat I'd want to switch between gas and elect on the back depending on where I'm fishing. What are your thoughts or experience with a 12v 55 lb thrust with this size boat? 24v would be nice but the more I spend on boat the less I'll have for motor,batteries, electronics, etc.

My 55lb Terrova bow mount handled my 18' fiberglass boat just fine - so if you're going all electric a 55# on the back of such a comparably light boat should be fine. If you're only going all electric on small waters then the 55# will cost a lot less than a 24v, and you can always add batteries in parallel if you find you're running out of juice.

Latest posts