Mounting my emergency boarding ladder - quick question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJKodiak

Reaction score
Hey folks -

I'll be mounting an emergency boarding ladder to my Crestliner Kodiak. It's similar to the T-H Marine Twist Step model, and it mounts to the bolts that hold the outboard on the transom.

When I remove the bolts, do I need to re-pack the mounting hole with a sealant/caulk when re-installing or can I simply re-install and rely on the material that's left behind in the transom to seal? Since it's a bolt and nut/washer combo, not sure if I have to re-apply.

Currently, there's a black sealant (it's somewhat hard, could be 5200 but I'm not sure) that was applied by Crestliner to seal the mounting bolts. Boat's 3 years old and I've owned it since new. I have 5200 at home, as well as life caulk, and a number of other things I could use.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I've never removed these motor bolts from any other boats in the past.

Best,

Thanks -

Any idea what is typically used for that application? Is it black 5200? Life Caulk? Just can't determine what's there currently...

Actually, 5200 comes in black as well - but I'll check with Crestliner to see what they use.

I wouldn't have to worry about it at all except for the fact that the bottom mounting bolt has the nut on the INSIDE of the transom - that's why I have to remove that bolt entirely.

The upper bolt has the nut on the outside of the transom and just requires loosening of the nut.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys - appreciate it.