Yet another new way to go fishing!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's cool, but it's kinda like tow-in big wave surfing. Couldn't do it without a motorized something. Only time there was tuna off the beach in San Diego was when one of the bluefin tuna pens the Mexicans had at the Coronado Islands broke open.

BigTerp said:
Completely unsportsmanlike in my opinion. I can also see this being quickly deemed as an unlawful way to fish.
But when you get right down to it, how is it any different than using a boat and the latest fish finders to put the bait right in front of the fish? And it's not that far off from using trail cameras and feeders to hunt deer/hogs.

Nice find Pap - lots of controversy on this on the
https://www.pierandsurf.com forum I belong to.
Also, the radio controlled boats that will deliver the bait
out into the surf, but, you can't see what is in the water.
The drones are in our future - no matter what the venue.
Mike, I see your point - and agree.

LOL but, probably before long, I may have one !!

I too take issue with the sportsmanship of this practice. It's one thing to use it to spot fish, and another to use it to target feeding fish by dropping bait right on them. But I guess this is coming from an old school guy who uses a 20' length of cane for a depth finder, haha. In my mind, the sport of fishing comes from outwitting, outsmarting, and overpowering the target, mano a mano. Of course, everyone doesn't have my mind (probably for the best) and some people need to cover bare walls in their homes. I suspect that if this doesn't become addressed in imminent drone legislation, there will be explicit language soon after, concerning this use. I don't know, however, which way such rulings will fall. It's not particularly "inhumane" like some outlawed practices, but it is a distinctly unfair advantage, like baiting some fish is here. While I suspect it could be banned considering the conditions of some fisheries, I don't know that it actually grants all that much of a benefit, given the short range of drones/line and that they can only see the surface. What I do know is that in my state (AR), this would currently be illegal, as practices not explicitly authorized by the regulations are illegal. Just my $0.02, if even worth that, from a student who has spent some amount of time recently studying ethics, overfishing, and other such topics.

JMichael said:
BigTerp said:
Completely unsportsmanlike in my opinion. I can also see this being quickly deemed as an unlawful way to fish.
But when you get right down to it, how is it any different than using a boat and the latest fish finders to put the bait right in front of the fish? And it's not that far off from using trail cameras and feeders to hunt deer/hogs.
Couldn't agree more.

With that being said, will I ever fish like that? No.

While I don't use a fish finder, I would argue that there is a slight difference. There is always some degree of identification uncertainty using sonar. I know that I wouldn't be able to tell a shipwreck from a shad on one of those things. Also, I think there's a bit of lag that plays in. Between lag in equipment, deciphering the information, and actually targeting what you see, I don't see this and that being quite the same degree. I could be wrong, but I would think using a finder would be more difficult to identifying species and determining if they are actively feeding as well, but as stated, I don't have any experience with one.

Also, this is apples and oranges compared to hunting deer and hogs. Fisheries are much more sensitive and harder to monitor than terrestrial populations. Deer and hogs, however, are species that necessitate control through hunting. They are also closely monitored by regulatory agencies (hence, how bag limits and season dates are set). These things might be regional, but that's how I see it given what I know.

... can't use the drone to bring the lure to the fish or even a kayak & fisherman aboard to the fish .... Also ILLEGAL!

At least here on the East Coast, as one can only get a Federal Marine Fisheries permit to fish (Angler rod & reel class) for pelagic species by registering their vessel as the permitee.

JMichael said:
BigTerp said:

Eh, you got a point in regards to boats and sonars. But, in my opinion, it takes more know how and skill to use a sonar to target fish. With a drone you just fly around until you spot your target and drop the bait right in on their head. Both give the angler an advantage over the fish, but the drone idea goes too far, in my opinion. Either way I'll almost guarantee it will be outlawed soon enough.

kstrayhorn said:
Also, this is apples and oranges compared to hunting deer and hogs. Fisheries are much more sensitive and harder to monitor than terrestrial populations. Deer and hogs, however, are species that necessitate control through hunting. They are also closely monitored by regulatory agencies (hence, how bag limits and season dates are set). These things might be regional, but that's how I see it given what I know.

And I 100% agree with the above.

Terp - it already is outlawed to some extent.
no drones from National Park Service boundaries.
some State Parks have gotten on the train also.
never to worry - the US Government has its claws
on the regulations and registrations already.
plus, no less than 5 miles from airports, yada yada yada
soon, no peeping into high-rise hotel rooms at Daytona Beach !!!

stay tuned

BigTerp said:
But, in my opinion, it takes more know how and skill to use a sonar to target fish. With a drone you just fly around until you spot your target and drop the bait right in on their head. Both give the angler an advantage over the fish, but the drone idea goes too far, in my opinion. Either way I'll almost guarantee it will be outlawed soon enough.
Absolutely, it takes more skill to do vs the drone, but I'm not so sure about the outlawed part. I mean how can you outlaw this when they allow guys to use an airplane to guide these harpoon boats out and put them on bluefin tuna. If you haven't seen/heard about this, they show them doing it on the TV show Wicked Tuna.

But my point with the feeders and trail cams was that both methods are using technology and unnatural lures/attractants to give the human an advantage, and it's more of an advantage than a lot of people consider "sportsman like".

I didn't know about planes guiding boats. That's disheartening. But I'm sure there's some pretty strict regulations and fees associated with it. I imagine it's similar to how the big game industry in Africa is *supposesd* to work. People pay huge amounts of money for permits to hunt and those funds go back toward conservation. It generates revenue while creating a financial barrier to reduce and control taking of sensitive species.

And that's a fair point on feeders and cameras. However, I still find a line between luring and targeting. Cameras just let you see what's out there. Feeders just take advantage of natural needs to try to increase the probability of contact between game and hunters. You can't make a deer choose your feeder over alternatives. To compare feeders with the advantages of fishing like this, I would have to equate it with putting microchips in the feed and then tracking them down. I guess I feel sporting to be more of a "right place, right time" thing, so I believe influencing that is not an "unfair" advantage.

Interesting discussion...

There are days when I don't think that a drone; chum; live worms or anything else will help me catch a big one. And then there are days when the planets align, and they BITE!

Ha Ha richg99

Latest posts