Alumacraft Jon and bow anchor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rootbeer

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions on how to set up a bow anchor on my 1236 - with round gunwale.

A picture would help...but...if it is what I think you are asking about...

A piece of oak; slices of a WalMart cutting board; a thick chunk of PVC.... or many other materials can be shaped to give you a flat surface on one side, and the necessary curve on the bottom. You might have to build up a few layers to give you the height needed.

I'd think about starting with a hole saw, and then shape the exact curve(s) with hand tools or a sanding drum, if you have one. Dremel might do it, but taking lot of stock off with a little tool can be time-consuming.

Presume you need some device to handle the rope and a stopper. The Attwood Lift and Lock is typical of a number of devices that may help you.
https://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Lift--n-Lock--Anchor-Control-Deluxe---Standard

13702.jpg

regards, richg99

Here are some pics of my dilemma. I would prefer to be able to have the bolt heads on the interior of the boat and then backed on the exterior with a fender washers and possibly a backer plate (either aluminum or poly cutting board). There is no room on the top two bolts as they are immediately below the gunnel. I could have the bolt heads on the exterior with the nut being captured in the mount. My thought is that the bottom bolts are more important than the top bolts due to how the force would be applied to the mount, but I'm not sure. My other thought is that by using a thicker backer, such as a poly cutting board - I gain a little more room for a washer, but I would have to cut a slot - not a hole - for the top bolts due to the lack of room, but I would be able to fit a washer.

The first picture is of where the bolt head would be - taken from the exterior of the boat.

Attachments

• scotty1.jpg
    scotty1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,513
  • scotty3.jpg
    scotty3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,513
If I understand your dilemma, the device is restricted as to height due to the length of its "pole" that extends down into the Scotty rod mount. You are also restricted due to the thickness of the rounded gunnel on your boat.

If that is correct....Just about the only solution that comes to mind would be to find a piece of aluminum square tube that is the same thickness as the gunnel...PLUS the thickness of the base of the Scotty mount. You might have to shim the square tube to make it all fit.

Say your gunnel is 1 1/2 inches from the boat's side to the edge of the gunnel, and the base of the Scotty mount is 2 inches. Your square tube, along with any shims needed, would have to be 3 1/2 inches square.

You'd mount the square tube right under the gunnel using long bolts and backing plate(s) on the outside of the boat. i.e. the bolts would have to be 4 inches or so long.

Now....the major "solution" is to turn the Scotty mount upright. That will give you another inch or so of height that mounting it sideways did not. Stick the "pole" of the anchor device into the Scotty mount and everything should fit fine.

The biggest problem that I see with the above solution is that there will be a lot of pressure put onto the square of aluminum and its mounting bolts. That amount of pressure will be determined by the weight of the anchor that you put on. A lot of leverage will be placed on the Scotty mount, too.

May I suggest another answer....

Just mount one of these on the top side of the gunnel and be done with it. It will help you raise your anchor but won't need all of the engineering to mount it. There may be some reason why you require the extended anchor device...but...if not..maybe a simple anchor chock will do the job. regards, richg99

https://www.walmart.com/ip/34051324?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227022557456&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52369775831&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=83934830591&veh=sem

k2-_e5e261c0-307c-4eff-8475-baf2669a9ae2.v1.jpg

The intended use is for stillwater fly fishing. I wanted to be able to position the boat and drop the anchor without having to climb to the bow of the boat and keep as many things in the bow as possible as I seem to be able to tangle fly line very easily.

Currently I run the anchor rope over the bow inside the bow handle and then have loose rope in the stern that I have been tying off to the oarlock, but that does not work very well.

I did purchase a clamcleat with thoughts of installing that on the inside of the gunnel near the stern, but I wonder if a standard cleat would be better.

I want to keep the top of the boat as clean as possible as I need to be able to slide it on top of a rack to transport.

This was not supposed to be that complicated lol.

Well, I think that the square aluminum tube idea might work. A block of oak might be substituted for the aluminum piece, too.

Some additional thoughts ( most stolen from kayak fishing sites )

Anchor trolley... https://www.yakangler.com/kayak-rigging/item/432-what-is-an-anchor-trolley

anchor_trolly2-1.jpg

Retractable Doggie leash retriever to store your anchor line. Cheap, effective, and keeps a strap enclosed and wound up nicely.

https://www.chewy.com/flexi-city-retractable-tape-dog/dp/104328?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Flexi&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAjwpfC5BRCT1sKW2qzwqE0SJABkKFKRBdDHi1zCCrr1iEqyTRqnEcsh2KbAjStz84HlGDNdZRoC0YTw_wcB

And, from Lefty Kreh......wet a towel. Drop it over your "junk" on the front deck. No more hung-up, tangled fly lines.

Hope this helps...

regards, richg99

Oh Yea....the anchor trolley can also be used with a stickk type anchor. Great for shallow, soft-bottomed areas I have an anchor trolley on each of my three kayaks.

As a matter of fact, I have two on one yak. That way, I can choose on which side to position the yak.

Here is a thread on building an inexpensive stickk type anchor. regards, richg99

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40235

Latest posts