handicapped rigging

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bptjr

Reaction score
Need ideas for handicapped rigging my jonboat. Late last year found myself in a new situation . I have fished almost daily for a lot of years but now severe back problems make sitting up or walking very painful. Im going crazy from not fishing. This conversion would involve a flat floor to hold a lawn chair or a way to lay dow now and then for a few minutes ,and possibly a grab rail of sorts to get on the front deck. My rig ia a alumicraft 1548,,minkota foot control ,10 hp honda tiller steer . Any ideas??? Anyone else in this type situation?

Over the (many) years, I've had back problems on and off. Nothing "severe" and all correctable with walking; back exercises, and an occasional chiropractic visit.

When I was suffering (I do feel your pain), I never felt right getting anywhere near my boats. I never felt that I had the balance that I might need to catch myself if I slipped or leaned over too far.

I guess any boat can be made to accommodate a simple folding chair. Do you have a middle seat that is in the way? How can the work be accomplished if your back is in such bad shape.

richg99

Fishing friends are always offering help. Im just not sure of best ideas of how to do. Mostly looking for how others have delt with simular situations with their jon boat. My alumacraft 1548 has raised front & rear deck and open floor with exposed ribs.

Sounds like the exposed ribs are the major problem. I just finished flooring my new hull (1652 G3). It came with the same type of exposed ribs.

FIRST, I dragged four sets of wires. I only needed two sets for my Trolling motor and forward electronics. So I thought. It wasn't but a few days and I realized that I needed a run of wire to power my forward navigation lights. Now, I have one spare set awaiting some other need.

I cut up some blue foam (sheets available at Lowes or HD) and built up enough layers to fill the gaps height-wise. Contrary to the norm, I cut the foam "logs".... loose/thinner .... in each cavity. I wanted some space for water to find its way out ....since it will eventually find its way in.

I had a 4x7 piece of thin aluminum sheet that I removed from my old hull. But, it wouldn't cover the entire width of the new, larger, hull. I went to Lowes and had them cut two pieces from a 4x8 sheet of EXTERIOR grade 1/4 inch plywood. Since I was covering it with vinyl, I used BCX grade. If you intend to cover your new decking, I'd suggest you consider carpet. My belief is that your folding chair won't slip as much on carpet. If not for that issue, I really like the vinyl.

I installed the new decking in two pieces rather than one, simply because it was easier, and I worried about some future need to get under the deck. I Have a small side-console that would make future access difficult if I had gone with a single sheet. A single sheet probably would work best in your situation, though. Lowes will cut a sheet to length for you.

Some boats have a taper. The hull is wider in the stern than near the bow. So, measure carefully and you will probably have to cut the tapered sides by yourself. Lowes' panel saw isn't designed to cut tapered edges. No big deal. You can do it with a circular saw or even a saber saw after clamping down a straight-edge.

I screwed my decking sandwich ( aluminum and plywood ) down to the ribs with stainless steel screws. BEFORE laying down the plywood, I added some bright blue tape markers on the sides of the hull, aligned with each rib. That made it easy to locate the ribs into which I screwed the plywood.

Many guys on here swear by using only aluminum for the flooring. They may all be right, but this method worked for me.

Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to tell you how someone else had accomplished adding the flooring, in enough detail, so that there shouldn't be too many unanswered questions.

regards, richg99

Thanks to richg99. That sounds much like my thoughts except i was thinkiging i would make the floor flat (level) instead of tapering to center.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

The taper I was referring to is the width of the boat hull. My 1652 was only 52 wide near the stern seat. Closer to the bow, it was about 48 inches wide.

I would also make the floor as flat as possible.

richg99

I have a destroyed hip from osteoarthritis which makes my balance very unsteady and walking painful plus I use a cane for walking but it hasn't stopped me from boating and fishing. Several things that I've done to make it easier is to install a perforated aluminum floor to avoid the trip hazard presented by the ribs, and I have three aluminum cane-like devices tig welded to the side of the verticle parts of the bench seats in places where they are handy for manuvering off the front deck and then over the middle bench and then up onto the back deck. Much more stable than trying to use my cane since, by being welded, the tips can't slip on wet aluminum sheet. Might be a bit strange looking but they sure come in handy and they really don't get in the way of anything else. If you don't make your boat easy for yourself to use you will slowly stop using it and that's not an option. Good luck to you and hang in there...it's worth it.

In a completely unrelated thread, Prowelder posted pictures of rails he put up along the sides of his project boat. Now, he's a professional, but the concept could work on a smaller scale for you.

Lying down is tougher. Only thought, other than a modified chaise lounge, would be acordian-connected boards, which could sandwich up against the wall the boat when not in use.

Best wishes.

I have decking on the 14 footer. Enough to relax/stretch a kink out, a bit .

If your center of gravity would not be jeopardized , a high back well padded seat would help.
Adding decking to the front half or less ,would allow legs from knees down to hang over onto floor and make sitting up easier.
A couple painters/ropes could help you set up too.

Changing up position before it becomes an issue on a tiller can help.
I tend to keep twisting the same way too long to keep my weight off my one side and can feel corkscrewed the next day...

something told me that posting here would help me !! it is so encouraging to know others have problems that didn't keep them from fishing. ideas and encouragement was just what I needed. now its time to do something about it . thanks to all ,bptjr

Poormans Boatright said:
While he wasn't handicapped, here is what I did for an older gentleman customer of mine. Link https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37281

**** nice job...but I'd be afraid that I'd never get my 1448 on plane with that much additional weight. What I need are "sockets" that I could insert my cane into just to have the additional stability that I need while walking. Several in key places would do the trick. Might even get by with T shaped poles welded to the deck to be able to navigate the bench seats. a socket that the pole would fit into with a pin to secure it/make it removeable would be perfect. My right hip and knee are so screwed up that I can't stand in the boat while waves cause it to roll. Not using my boat is the only unacceptable option...

Bptjr to donor i think you can easily make the sockets with plumbing parts. A round flange screwed to deck and short pipe screwed into flange. Thats what i used to make risers for my depth finders. Flanges and pipes come in several diameters. Hope this helps.

Latest posts