Boat floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobthebuilder

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm putting a floor in my 12 ft mirrocraft and need some advice. Trying do decide between aluminum and wood. I'm a little worried about the aluminum being to cold when hunting during the winter months. Thanks in advance.

my GF likes to sit in the floor in the back!

090b5bea63e9cdd32af4d3497ca55548.jpg

Your local maker of blades
AB knives

That's what I'm in the process or doing. Just making sure it was the best option. I'll start posting pics in a day or two. Thanks for the comments.

I'm a OB jet guy so weight is a primary concern for me. Therefore I'd never use wood cuz it's so **** heavy. My floor is perforated aluminum and I can't imagine that it would be any colder than wood. If I was sitting in the bottom on the floor I'd also be sitting on a throwable cushion just to keep my bony *** from going numb. To each his own though...

momule said:
I'm a OB jet guy so weight is a primary concern for me. Therefore I'd never use wood cuz it's so **** heavy. My floor is perforated aluminum and I can't imagine that it would be any colder than wood. If I was sitting in the bottom on the floor I'd also be sitting on a throwable cushion just to keep my bony *** from going numb. To each his own though...
I agree to this. Have had 3 ob jet boats with perforated aluminum in all of them and would never own a boat without it. Just my two cents

So you asked for opinions on the 18th and then on the 19th stated that you are well into your build and have already put down carpet covered wood. Makes me wonder why you would ask for opinions if you've already made the decision and done the work. Kinda defeats the purpose of the forums and wastes everyones time...but I guess some people just want to have someone, anyone, agree with them.

Cushions, flotation pads, section of loose carpet on a blue foam as you sit on the floor, leaning against the seat...all will work fine. No need to insulate parts of the boat upon which your skin will never touch.

Be safe, have fun.

Bobthebuilder said:
All good momule. Check out my build 8)

Thanks Bob and I did check out your build. Even though you've really done a good job on this project, and I especially like your camo pattern, I still advocate using aluminum for flooring and decking in an aluminum boat. It's far lighter, will never rot, and is easy to work with. Even if a guy can't tig weld the cost of having it done outweighs the cons of dealing with wood. One of the things that I love about tin boats is their weatherproofness during the off season...something that wood will never provide. BUT, I do understand the attractiveness of wood for it's DIY ease. Everyone's boat and boat needs are different and that helps make the world an interesting place to be. By the way, what did you use for a camo template anyway? It looks a bit psychedelic in a redneck kind of way. \:D/

archery68 said:
momule said:
I agree to this. Have had 3 ob jet boats with perforated aluminum in all of them and would never own a boat without it. Just my two cents

Explain this "perforated aluminum"

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

I'm calling in favors on some metal work after hunting season. Went with wood to speed up the build & save $. The camo is called kryptek. I made some stencils with images from the web, and your right about it being kinda red neck meets hippie.

Latest posts